SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Spark Plugs and Coil Leads recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG
Spark Plugs and Coil Leads recommendations

Hey Folks,

I would appreciate your help and advice on this.

Mercedes Parts has multiple Spark Plug numbers, and Coil leads, but I'm unsure which to order. I can't easily tell which is for what.
However, Bosch and NGK do alternative spark plugs, and Bosch and Lucas do alternative leads; any options on these?

If it helps, I have a 2003 SL55 R230. Any advice is very welcome.
Old Today, 11:21 AM

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
I have the same car, a 2003 SL55 AMG with the M113K supercharged engine. I ordered the exact spark plugs specified in the owners manual. NGK spark plugs ILFR6A, the engine has sixteen of them!! I was told on a forum, that I should replace the wires for them as well the car had 92K miles and 20 years, and that was good advice. I bought a set of Bremi STI wires, (W0133-1717255) made in Germany. Cost about $150 USD. From Partsgeek dot com, I don't know if you can buy from them in the UK but I'm sure you can get them from somewhere. The spark plugs cost around $13 each whereas I'm sure Mercedes would charge you at least 50% more than that.
NGK also sells a set of their brand wires for over $300. My total cost for parts was about $400 USD. I shop around online for the lowest prices... always have. I did the replacement job myself with my left shoulder not working very well, took me about nine hours. When finally done, I was happy on startup when the engine ran perfectly. Still does, a year and a half later. A friend asked me to call a Mercedes dealership with the car's VIN number asking their price for this job including parts and labour. Their answer? $3,950.00 USD!! I called a second dealer and got a quote about $400 less. The plugs at the very back of the engine can be the hardest ones to get out and back in again, a good assortment of various tools and sockets etc will be very handy. You may even need to go out and buy a tool or two. I'm not 100% sure but I think those spark plugs in the engine were original to the car. You have to lay the wires out and match the old ones up one at a time with the new, they are close in length although slightly different. This way you don't use a longer one in place of a shorter one and find later you need the longer one for another cylinder. Fun!

Last edited by tonylinc; Today at 11:38 AM.