SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Ongoing AC Issues and Repairs with SL63 AMG – Anyone Else Facing This?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2024 | 03:27 PM

Exclamation Ongoing AC Issues and Repairs with SL63 AMG – Anyone Else Facing This?

Hi all,

I wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues with their SL63 AMG. I've been dealing with a persistent problem with the AC system. Specifically, my car had some electrical issues, and it ended up being related to faulty stepper motors in the AC unit.

Mercedes kept my car for about four months while they replaced all 12 stepper motors. Unfortunately, since getting the car back, I’ve noticed some additional concerns:
  • A very unpleasant smell coming through the AC vents.
  • A dusty or sandy substance seems to be blowing through the vents as well.
  • The heater seems to be turning on when it’s not supposed to, which also triggers some disturbing odors.
Has anyone else encountered similar issues with their AC? Any insights or advice would be appreciated!

Best regards,

Last edited by papachicco7; 10-14-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2024 | 10:03 AM

After doing different kind of tests, I noticed that the smell was coming when AC was ON. If I only run the fans, without using AC, that specific smell doesn't come out of the vents.
If someone has an idea/theory of what could be triggering that smell, please share.

If I had to describe, it smells like a heating smell but occurs when AC runs at 70 Fahrenheit. Also when driving, a tickling feeling comes to my mouth.

Any similar experience, please let me know. The year of my SL63 AMG is 2022.

Last edited by papachicco7; 10-15-2024 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2024 | 12:00 PM

E320
The issues you’re experiencing could indicate several underlying problems. The smell and dusty substance might originate from accumulated debris or a deteriorating component within the HVAC system. Given that the smell occurs when the AC is on but not when just the fans are running, it could point to mold or bacterial growth caused by condensation that hasn’t been removed properly. This is common if the evaporator coil has moisture build-up or if the drainage isn't working efficiently. The tickling sensation could result from bacterial spores or dust particles, emphasizing the need for a thorough HVAC cleansing. Additionally, the unexpected heater activation suggests potential faults in the temperature blend doors or control circuits within the HVAC system.

The following 2 users liked this post by jimyj:
papachicco7 (10-15-2024), tonylinc (10-16-2024)
Old 10-15-2024 | 12:03 PM

Thanks a lot Jimy!
The following users liked this post:
tonylinc (10-16-2024)
Old 10-16-2024 | 07:36 AM

SL55AMG, GL450, SLK, S550, Maserati Coupe
That's terrible, sorry you're having these problems. Don't use the A/C if you suspect mold spores!! Maybe don't use the system at all, until it is fixed properly. Health advisory, mold is really bad for your health. I would take it back to the folks who "repaired it", to see if the evaporation water is draining right, or if there's a blockage, and get that problem alleviated. In normal use on a hot day, one can notice water that's been removed from the air, dripping under the car, and it's suspected this is not draining right. I can certainly imagine a Benz dealer repairing this system without getting it right, but they need to have another look at the car and do it properly. That should be a crime, to give you back the car in a bad condition while taking your money.

Last edited by tonylinc; 10-16-2024 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
papachicco7 (10-16-2024)
Old 10-17-2024 | 03:56 PM

Hello, I have a 2003 model sl55 amg. Even if I fill the air conditioning gas in the vehicle, I noticed that it empties again within 3-4 months because the AC off light does not go off. What is the most practical solution for this? Does anyone have a suggestion?