SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 vs 04 Cobra Convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 GLC300 sport
Originally Posted by OzSL55
I did a quick look into piston issues on modfords and found this useful post listing all kinds of failure and why: link Out of the 33 cars listed. It appears to me that most piston damage was caused by improper tuning leading to lean cond. That's going to kill the best of engines. The pistons maybe the first part to go in the engine at high performance level, but that does not mean the stock ones are faulty or inferior.
haha. My old cobra was on there. It was definately due to poor tuning. I learned from my mistakes.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Originally Posted by dgussin1
haha. My old cobra was on there. It was definately due to poor tuning. I learned from my mistakes.
I still think Ford should have routed flowing coolant passages on both sides of the motor instead of blocking one side off...

I haven't kept up with Griggs, but I'm sure an SLA would be a sweet arrangement.

For some reason I just didn't get into the "03 like I did the other Cobra's I had...I much prefered the feel of my '97 Cobra with a forged bottom and an S-trim. As far as the motors go, we'll see what the future holds with more miles on 'em.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:48 PM

SL55 AMG, Aston Martin V8V, 350Z w/twins, GL-450, LS-460, HB (1-off) Shelby SVT Cobra, 67 Camaro
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I have run into plenty of Cobras on the road and the track............I call BS
With all due respect (I know who you are) you can run into an STI also and get your **** handed to you. I am blessed with the good fortune to own a one-off SVT Shelby Cobra (yes one of one). Granted it cost much more than a new SL63 to acquire the beast but it will eat my SL55 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and even take a doggie bag home. In just days there are coming changes to the SL such as Pulley, LT Headers, HE and Pump, Carbon Intake, 82mm TB, Larger Injectors & TTM Fuel Rails, and a host of other goodies. At the end of the day it still won’t make 850 at the wheels. Having said that I love to play with Vettes and Shelby's alike in My SL, it is always fun to watch them act like they are searching for something in the console at the light after my quiet little 4300 lb MB separated them from their manhood. I love all my cars in different ways, AMV8V is the most fun and the most beautiful, the SL is definitely the best combination of luxury and power... 350Z with Twins – F-ing sick, Lexus LS460 is like riding on a cloud, I could go on… but just remember though the next time your ego wants to speak out... there is always someone with more money and more interest in being faster than you - perhaps without explanation or for no apparent reason whatsoever. There is always someone else who wants to win more than you do.
Attached Thumbnails SL55 vs 04 Cobra Convertible-picture.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
why are you bringing back a 6 yr old thread? to brag you have a fast stang or to show us you cant read the thread dates?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
Plus there is always some guy dumber than u who will take a bigger risk to win a street race that doesn't mean anything but organ donation for a lucky recipient, or some slime attorney looking to pay hid monthly mortgage in Aspen.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by OICU2
With all due respect (I know who you are) you can run into an STI also and get your **** handed to you. I am blessed with the good fortune to own a one-off SVT Shelby Cobra (yes one of one). Granted it cost much more than a new SL63 to acquire the beast but it will eat my SL55 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and even take a doggie bag home. In just days there are coming changes to the SL such as Pulley, LT Headers, HE and Pump, Carbon Intake, 82mm TB, Larger Injectors & TTM Fuel Rails, and a host of other goodies. At the end of the day it still won’t make 850 at the wheels. Having said that I love to play with Vettes and Shelby's alike in My SL, it is always fun to watch them act like they are searching for something in the console at the light after my quiet little 4300 lb MB separated them from their manhood. I love all my cars in different ways, AMV8V is the most fun and the most beautiful, the SL is definitely the best combination of luxury and power... 350Z with Twins – F-ing sick, Lexus LS460 is like riding on a cloud, I could go on… but just remember though the next time your ego wants to speak out... there is always someone with more money and more interest in being faster than you - perhaps without explanation or for no apparent reason whatsoever. There is always someone else who wants to win more than you do.
Your driveway is a logistical nightmare. Looks like about 30 minutes of valet work just to drive the SL.

And yeah, 5 year old thread? Really?

Nice cars. Bad date recognition skills.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 06-28-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM

SL55 AMG, Aston Martin V8V, 350Z w/twins, GL-450, LS-460, HB (1-off) Shelby SVT Cobra, 67 Camaro
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
why are you bringing back a 6 yr old thread? to brag you have a fast stang or to show us you cant read the thread dates?
The point is still the same regardless of your opinion of the validity of a forum thread based on its date rather than its content. If you must know the thread was sent to me from a colleague who found the banter interesting. I found it interesting as well. My comments are not negative, nor were they meant to be offensive. If you hadn't taken a personal interest in replying then this quite possibly could have just been the end of it. Its not the fastest car in the world. Its just a car. This forum is about cars and the people who enjoy them. I have enjoyed this forum for a very long time and have gained much needed information on many occasions. This is the first time I have ever posted a comment. Sorry it did not meet your standard of approval.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by OICU2
The point is still the same regardless of your opinion of the validity of a forum thread based on its date rather than its content. If you must know the thread was sent to me from a colleague who found the banter interesting. I found it interesting as well. My comments are not negative, nor were they meant to be offensive. If you hadn't taken a personal interest in replying then this quite possibly could have just been the end of it. Its not the fastest car in the world. Its just a car. This forum is about cars and the people who enjoy them. I have enjoyed this forum for a very long time and have gained much needed information on many occasions. This is the first time I have ever posted a comment. Sorry it did not meet your standard of approval.
I like this guy.

Carry on.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 E55 Black
[QUOTE=OICU2;4735703]With all due respect (I know who you are) you can run into an STI also and get your **** handed to you. I am blessed with the good fortune to own a one-off SVT Shelby Cobra (yes one of one). Granted it cost much more than a new SL63 to acquire the beast but it will eat my SL55 for breakfast, lunch and dinner and even take a doggie bag home. In just days there are coming changes to the SL such as Pulley, LT Headers, HE and Pump, Carbon Intake, 82mm ...blah.blah..QUOTE]

http://tinyurl.com/6eswwhx
Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM

It takes all types. Haves... have nots. The world certainly needs those who are critical and expressively judgmental to keep the rest of us in check. Thanks for keeping the thread alive. Nice of you to present yourself, keep in touch.