SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

My B&O rant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
My B&O rant

The sound quality is better than bose. How much? Its better.
My problem, for $6500. as I take the door panels off to do the trim, I see the speaker sitting in some cut up plastic bracket.
As I figure it out, the bose obviously had some shape which its attaching screws go into, and the b&o isnt the same shape. The b&o has some ball and socket mounting prongs. So on this one top ball, it wouldnt fit the shape of the bose so they carved, trimmed off the old bose mount and left the top of the b&o speaker to float in nothingness. It does mash the speaker almost flush when it is in place but I added some soft insullation behind them to make it tighter.
A crap job. Yes both sides are the same.
Wonder what else is f.ed up in the $6500 system.
Another bit of info. if you want to take the dash tweeters off, they have 4 ball and socket prongs. Just start pulling up equally all around and it comes straight up
Attached Thumbnails My B&O rant-hpim8854.jpg  

Last edited by okbarnett; 03-04-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by okbarnett
The sound quality is better than bose. How much? Its better.
My problem, for $6500. as I take the door panels off to do the trim, I see the speaker sitting in some cut up plastic bracket.
As I figure it out, the bose obviously had some shape which its attaching screws go into, and the b&o isnt the same shape. The b&o has some ball and socket mounting prongs. So on this one top ball, it wouldnt fit the shape of the bose so they carved, trimmed off the old bose mount and left the top of the b&o speaker to float in nothingness. It does mash the speaker almost flush when it is in place but I added some soft insullation behind them to make it tighter.
A crap job. Yes both sides are the same.
Wonder what else is f.ed up in the $6500 system.
Another bit of info. if you want to take the dash tweeters off, they have 4 ball and socket prongs. Just start pulling up equally all around and it comes straight up
I would be pissed as well. They get away with it because it's hidden.
Old 10-11-2022, 02:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63s AMG Wagon, 2014 SL63 AMG, 2019 Audi Q8
Did you have some rattle/noise issues with the tweeters? I do (I think - hard to pinpoint) and am tempted to pull them out and see. Not sure what to do after that, though.
Old 10-11-2022, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
no but if they are installed like mine, that would be a good possibility