SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

Help, can't get part since months - 40k repair

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 SL63
Help, can't get part since months - 40k repair

I have a unique problem, I need a repair that requires a new roof for my 2015 AMG SL63 and have no idea whether I ever will get it.
Firstly, to tell the story I was super stupid, had a go-pro mounted inside on the back window and tried to open the roof. I realized it too late that this off course wont work with the camera and busted both of the small hinges that hold the back shelf - the camera was totally fine. The roof itself still works. Its a pretty small 2 inch hinge so I thought not a big deal, so also initially thought my dealer, autobahn motors in san mateo, ca. Then it took them 2 weeks to get me an answer, they said the hinge cannot be ordered separately but I need a whole new roof for over 40k. After getting over the shock it took almost 8 weeks before my insurance finally understood what happened (3 adjusters later) and agreed to pay for it but another 4 weeks before finally they got a check to autobahn. Thats 5 weeks ago, the strategy is they order the roof, take the hinges of the new roof (probably a 100$ value at most) and replace it in my car. They have no idea when Mercedes can deliver the roof, the whole thing happened in december, so since then no convertible.
Is there anyway I can get Mercedes Germanyto get me a roof or hinge before next winter?
Thanks for any suggestions
Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
the whole part will come from factory. They would have to have the right color, which means they will probably have to make the whole thing to order. Im sure you can ask MB to give you an estimated delivery date and they can get that from the factory. They do give estimated shipping dates.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 SL63
Thanks for the quick answer. My dealer has ordered the part but they say they can't get a delivery date. I am wondering whether I should try to contact Mercedes in Germay directly, I am german so could do that in their language...
Not sure about matching colors needed. My dealer says they would just take the hinges of the new roof and put them into my car. I have no idea what they would then with the brand new 40k roof...