SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

Spare Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GLC 63
Spare Key

Anyone here pick up an aftermarket spare key?

I realize that the key has to be programmed to the vehicle (which makes it an item normally available from the dealer only).
But I see some security/locksmith services who say that they can do the programming themselves.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone here has done that, and what their experience is.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 PM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I know this is a semi old thread, but I want to share my experience.

I found a shop in San Diego called Luxe Electrical that does auto electronics including locksmith cloning keys. https://www.luxeautosd.com/
They advertise on eBay, and all reviews were 5 stars everywhere I looked.

Called and asked if he would rather have me pay without eBay fees and work direct, which he said sure.
Pulled my EIS, and shipped it Priority with original black key, copy of registration and drivers license, and check for $145.
6 days later I get a priority package with all stuff and my new chrome key and mechanical cut key.

I finally have a spare key and my new key looks just like a new MB key. Could not be more pleased.
It is a risk, as your car is a brick without the original EIS, but I took a chance and saved hundreds of dollars for a couple hours work.