SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

Diary of a SL63 AMG Lemon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,339 Likes on 2,063 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Bilbo7
The cars returned after near 8 weeks!!!

15th March the SL 63 is returned looking nice and shiny inside and out

As agreed I am to take the car on a number of test runs to check the new clutch is OK that will be one run per day in one gearbox mode

However, the same day the SL63 has a very short run out and I am pleased to say the gears are even silkier smooth in comfort than they were after the oil and filter change. I note it took over 10 miles that day for the oil in the box to warm to 75C and the dealership has only driven it 52 miles
Given that violent kangarooing normally only happens after 20-30 miles or more, (admittedly the first time it occurred it was only after say 12 miles but never so low again) given they had done a large number of test runs I am not surprised it never happened as it was not driven far enough
So I am still a bit apprehensive of the cure

So test runs
The engine note is also a lot better

After the local dealership worked as stated above on the car the huge 34mpg on the duel carriage way at 60mph dropped to 26-28mpg

So below an image after 18miles at 71mph average in fact 70mph +/- 3mph 30.7 MPG. at 13 deg Centigrade driving in Comfort mode

It continued to reached 31.3mpg when 18miles moved on to 30miles in continuous traffic similarly later at 55mph = 34mpg not that later typical 27mpg

I was driving my wife took this image on her phone

See image for MPG and to prove the UK does get Sunny Skies

To cut this really short over the next few days the cars fine the auto downward changes is slick and the upward changes invisible unless in Manual

HOWEVER.......... its still had that one 1-2 second pause pulling on to a roundabout after the first few feet BUT its only happened twice in say 400 miles
Finally having allowed the clutch to wear in IF it actually needs it? I try a fast foot to the floor 0-60 from a standing start in Sport + ......... AHHHHHH there’s massive banging from both the gearbox/clutch and the rear and I lift then the cars fine on a 10 mile drive
How do I feel ............. well totally gutted..............BUT

With great reluctance on should I call the RAC or try again I decide on try again but with less throttle and just 2 bangs from the rear I take the car for another run all fine and I am thinking rubbers or gearbox mount that was not replaced. I wish dealerships were more into preventive maintenance
I ring my friendly independent and arrange a test drive with him but it’s wet roads again and not suitable for what I want to do so a week later
We go out in the car get a good 0-60 and nothing its fine............ 4 goes later still OK
He feels maybe the clutch has not been trained enough and I admit I have only been driving it gently to bed in the clutch we agree I will return if it happens again and I leave

Once home I think Check Oil and its fine then notice both the air inlet hoses to the filters have collapsed.......... So was that the problem???????
I order them in and received them on Thursday but clearing up rubble from the garage build I pull my lower back muscles so I only changed the hoses a few hours ago and the test runs tomorrow

So there will be a last post to follow on the inlet air hoses images
I really don't know what you mean by banging. I expect the transmission to shift hard in Sport+. This is not a smooth shifting like a slush box. I strongly encourage you to drive another SL63 for reference or maybe a C63s with a 7 speed MCT to be able to judge if the car operates as it should.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Wolfman
WOW that is a big copy paste BIG GRIN
I really don't know what you mean by banging
Well say 8-10 bangs from the gearbox area far less than a second apart and 4 from the rear. How loud with the roof up well 80-90 dB(A) said the sound engineer and really just like a steam hammer. I have been places with them in use
Great news testing today and that is all gone
This is not a smooth shifting like a slush box
Well mine seems fine today see last post below its shifting up and down in all modes with no judder jerks its really silk like even when pedal to the metal its only mild wheel spin that noticeable.
However, MUCH more fun with traction ESP control off SMOKING !!! I love the way it says SPORT handling mode is activated.and I think the rear tyres used near 1mm today. who need launch control.
I do like the way when Its better than other race cars I have driven try a square cut close ratio manual where heel- toe heeling on downshift is compulsory
I have always believed there only 2 ways to test a car and you should do both firstly as smooth as you can manage listening for noises and checking brakes and steering then drive it as if you stole it
So one more post.............. hopefully
Old 04-18-2022, 01:10 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi All
Well its taken near 10 months to sort all this but it seems to be there but I am so reluctant to write all sorted as it temps fate far too much

As to the banging well this was the condition of the inlet hoses

So I changed them and now its back to looking like this

I have no idea which of these caused the banging but its gone
  1. Collapsed then split inlet hoses.......I think the most likely
  2. The wet clutch was not fully programed
  3. Air lock in the oil to the clutch would do it
Take your choice one , all or none
I bought the car as a sunny day out car and for long holidays in Europe and also I decided that I needed something far more sedate than my caterham7 at 72 . Plus I had a busted ankle never really healed that is now playing up my knee and heel-toe was not possible anymore.
I had started out looking for a TVR Tuscan then a Boxster Syder but I am too tall for both then a collection of cars including a Audi R8 with a V10. I so nearly bought a 911 4S but crawling in traffic it was effecting my leg
The SL 63 AMG is the best of both worlds and after a month in Spain last year but for the continuing problems I really like it
All of this has only cost me time and irritation its cost me nothing more but I have used up a few gallons in fuel and I have an oddly worn set of tyres, All the costs of insurance were covered by a free service and £300
The selling dealership say they are going to pick up the inlet air damper costs
MB Customer Services have promised to be generous as well once I agree all is finished and the car did come with 2 years MB approved warranty and it was on Mercedes-Benz's own site as an Approved Car with a new MOT despite the broken rear dampers
My local garage failed to find some faults but encouraged me to go back to the selling dealership........ as did another

So why have I bothered to type all this detail
  1. Its to show all that just because its an approved car does not mean it fault free nor as in this case does a shiny new MOT
  2. Its not a real Lemon as its cost me nothing in cash and its not as it had unrepairable bodywork or crash damage but I did wonder when the steering was not getting sorted
  3. Its the only car I have ever bought from a dealership that's had any problems!
  4. You do need to persevere and you get more done by being patient and putting all in writing plus all phone call write to confirm what you have been told
  5. In the UK under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you can return a car within 30days if say after 20days you find a fault the 30days start again. They cannot force you to return the car but can say its more than the cars value and give a refund BUT read the contract some give a small maximum mileage hidden in the paperwork but no main agents going to do such
  6. BOTH dealerships seem to be near terrified of needing to go to MB technical let alone AMG and AMG customer services say all dealerships are fully trained but with just the err 350? cars like mine on the road in the UK they may never see one or sell one let alone for repairs after 3 years
  7. As to that slight pause it near never happens in my case with the turn off at idle engaged
To be fair to the selling dealership they have squirmed but only a over the final it needs the clutch change IF AMG etc had said change it there would not have been a problem nor have talking to them been unfriendly in fact quite the opposite
I now have a good handling car but I doubt I will ever love ABC Suspension but think the raise the car for speed bums is terrific . The clutch seems fine other than that slight pause at times that AMG quaintly call a Trait
As an aside my motorbike has an oil bathed clutch they are used just because the transmission is so smooth when handling high BHP or Torque...............ITS the whole point in having an oil bathed clutch so why do so many fail here its not just the 900Nm maybe using race starts often is the cause?

Well I will start another thread on HOW do I get to the inlet filters..........................I hope you liked the write up now hopefully the Lemon as its fondly know should be called a XXXX. So what is the opposite of a Lemon???......... Given its that really nice white colour a PEARL?

I do so hope so and all this is over

THAT'S ALL FOLKS ......

Old 04-18-2022, 04:30 PM

Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts
2023 AMG GLE63s, 2017 AMG SL63, 2024 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
I have followed your thread with interest as I have an early MY17 SL63 - purchased CPO .... Love it. You have great patience and it served you nicely, Well Done. Time to Enjoy its purpose.
My Polar White SL63 is named "Sugar". I considered "Zucker" but thought no one in South Texas would understand ... except in Fredericksburg.
Steve
Old 04-19-2022, 02:23 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Thumbs up

Yes I understand "Zucker" but I have friends in Breman and Munchen Germany
Mine is Designo Diamond Metallic White and I had a super polish ceramic coat done when I bought it but maybe their the same as in different names different sides of the pond

Well I am please you followed it and thank you for the reply as it is OTT long but so was the experience for me for others I hope as a minimum it would be a points to check list when buying one
Dispute all this I am glad I did not buy the SLK its too slow (well my wife saloon car 0-60 is 4.5 seconds GRIN but has what this car should have always had 4 wheel drive) and too small for me with my leg problem but also it has less panache.........

The Sl63 AMG with the roof down is defiantly a head turner at times and wherever we were in The South Of France last year and Spain last year.
Unexpectedly sometimes after we parked up then looking back with an entourage of admirers but so did my Caterham7 in France and Switzerland so maybe both are just something different?

Last edited by Bilbo7; 04-19-2022 at 03:00 PM. Reason: unfinished
Old 07-14-2022, 10:07 AM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi All
Well a closing comments and an update

Well I have had the car 12moths or rather owned it as 7.5 months was spent with Mercedes dealerships
Its been twice from London to Spain via France and cover 7600miles in that time and since the Wet Clutch was changed no Kangaroo but since they also played with the fuel injection its less noisy on change down over-run
They exhaust is removed to replace the wet clutch so maybe a joint blowing was cured what ever is generally much quieter and disappointingly so

What do I thing of the car
Downsides
Very few but one massive one the handling is rubbish when pushed. Its particularly noticeable on the mountain duel carriageways over the Pyrenees in fact any hill rad that curves
Basically its the weight and the ABC suspension just does not respond fast enough there is delay exiting a tight left corner to enter a right etc
However on a flat road its much better
The vision wipers work but the first wipe right to left is dry the return wet and I think that's just stupid but no scratches in the screen so far
One stork for everything is Mercedes but I find 2 better and less fiddly
The front caster angles non adjustable and mine was out but you can get cam bolts to do a rough fix

Upside
In France and Spain it attracts more attention than in the UK but that has a downside in many want to find how fast if goes!
The roof folding is sheer entertainment in advance origami
With the roof down for 4 weeks holiday at a villa I can get 4 North Face Voyager Duffie bags 42 https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/...ariationId=KY4
Plus wash bags either side, shoes loose on front and on top plus 2 jumpers or summer raincoats still with room for bits and pieces. Behind the passenger seat 90% back a minimal overnight bag and the drivers seat 99% back the compulsory Green coats for breakdowns and another coat
That still leaves the smugglers box for suntan creams and paperbacks and below the boot floor for more books or shoes etc

Fuel consumption well various pushing it I can hit 31 miles per UK gallons but normally is 26-28mpg or enthusiastically just don't bother looking
AC when its 38C and the roof up is really too cold but the cooling seats not so and I might look at them. Might be a case of I am use to it

Continental tyres are like bricks and they are getting swat to Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport but only as I could not buy Michelin PS4s badged MO1

Its a great continent crosser with the roof up or down but realistically after a few hours of sun at 3*c the roof has to go up or you FRY. Is really comfortable for a 2 seater

As to performance great in any mode and I use Comfort in town and softer springs the S with hard springs everywhere else but motorways ETC then its a choice. Fast driving is Manual or S+ and hard springs

So this should be my last post on this thread so my only real disappoint is its handling and I guess I would prefer springs damper and anti roll bars than I could get tuned to suit me. Still that engine compensates and I will look at how to improve handling

Old 07-14-2022, 10:28 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
A ponderous tome to say the least, glad you got it figured all out
Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 PM

Received 448 Likes on 307 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by Bilbo7
Well a closing comments and an update
Downsides
Very few but one massive one the handling is rubbish when pushed. Its particularly noticeable on the mountain duel carriageways over the Pyrenees in fact any hill rad that curves
Basically its the weight and the ABC suspension just does not respond fast enough there is delay exiting a tight left corner to enter a right etc
Transitional handling is the Achilles heel of ABC. It can be programmed for stiffness and ride height but in the end, as you noticed, there is a delay in the time the system reacts. It shows up in those types of situations. While the sprung version of the R231 is fairly soft. It’s more predictable as far as handling. It’s too soft to see any advantage over the SL63, but if one wants to compromise ride comfort, it could probably be made to handle fairly well.

Most of the top tier performance Mercedes are always traditional coil over.

That’s not a knock on the SL63. I think it’s a great car. It’s just a “characteristic” of ABC coupled with such a large amount of weight.

Last edited by crconsulting; 07-14-2022 at 07:54 PM.