SL65 AMG Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the R230 SL65 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Track day tire pressures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Track day tire pressures

Hey guys, not a BS owner, but an E55 owner who was asked to go through a client's SL BS for a day at the track in 2 weeks. He doesn't want to make suspension adjustments but was wondering about what tire pressures he should run. The course is a 2.5 mile road course, with very little elevation changes, but some pretty tight turns. When you are tracking your SLs, what do you set your tire pressures to? Do you just run the higher speed pressures on the gas cap? He is still running the Sport Maxx tires that came on the car.

Nick
Old 09-02-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
E63 2010
I run track days for some years now and the first thing is to bring your pressure meter with you. Cold pressure to start with is the gas cap indication for high speed. Depending upon the weather, track configuration and the driving aggressivity you have to mesure between run the hot value. On the side of the tire you will see some little arrow just above the thread, at the optimal pressure, you use the rubber to this arrow. On my car, it is around 42 psi hot. Depending on the track configuration you will have to ajust from side to side and front to rear. Great fun in perspective