SL65 AMG Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the R230 SL65 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Mad at my SL65 Black !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 Black Series, '14 CLS63 S-model
Mad at my SL65 Black !!!!!!!!!!!

We've had the SLBlack for over a year now and haven't had the time to travel to Affalterbach, Germany to ask why my beast is still being controlled. I've engaged Sport mode, deactivated Traction Control, and smashed the pedal through the floor board....still, control, control, control.

The ESP (traction control) button was replaced at the dealer, since it didn't activate the "triangle symbol", when we bought the car. Now it activates, but still won't let me shred the overpriced tires to pieces.

Before I travel to Germany to choke some engineers, does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't powerslide the car into long corners while the rear tires are producing a fine, marine-layer from under the rear panels?

Hell, Jeremy Clarkson smoked that SL Black Series all over that runway in England. He assertively said," the traction control is either ON or OFF". Not in my case....dammit!

Oh, and please don't get me wrong, I'm madly in love. I'm not into thrashing my Black either. But I want what I paid for... at least I walked a 599 Fiorano with relative ease and got all the attention from a crowd, while driving behind a bright yellow Murciélago, which received only a few glances.

Is it because it's a U.S. version? The U.S. version of the Ferrari 599 didn't get the "Launch Control" option, as far as I know...

Lemme Hear what you guys think....

Old 09-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by VeryBlackSL65
We've had the SLBlack for over a year now and haven't had the time to travel to Affalterbach, Germany to ask why my beast is still being controlled. I've engaged Sport mode, deactivated Traction Control, and smashed the pedal through the floor board....still, control, control, control.

The ESP (traction control) button was replaced at the dealer, since it didn't activate the "triangle symbol", when we bought the car. Now it activates, but still won't let me shred the overpriced tires to pieces.

Before I travel to Germany to choke some engineers, does anyone have any ideas as to why I can't powerslide the car into long corners while the rear tires are producing a fine, marine-layer from under the rear panels?

Hell, Jeremy Clarkson smoked that SL Black Series all over that runway in England. He assertively said," the traction control is either ON or OFF". Not in my case....dammit!

Oh, and please don't get me wrong, I'm madly in love. I'm not into thrashing my Black either. But I want what I paid for... at least I walked a 599 Fiorano with relative ease and got all the attention from a crowd, while driving behind a bright yellow Murciélago, which received only a few glances.

Is it because it's a U.S. version? The U.S. version of the Ferrari 599 didn't get the "Launch Control" option, as far as I know...

emmm maybe

The BMW M5 & M6 also got detuned US ver of their counter parts from Europe (launch control)
Old 09-28-2010, 05:42 AM

2007 Väth SL65 AMG. 2007 BMW Alpina B5s. 2007 BMW M6.

Have I got this right, that you can't completely shut the ESP off..?

Well, I'm not sure we have the same system, but what I do is this;
Put the ignition in the second mode (beyond radio-mode and just before start-mode).
Then tap the reset button 3 times pretty quickly.
Now (at least in mine) you'll get some very different menus to choose from in the display window.
Now browse untill "ESP", and then shut it off...

As I said, at least this is how to do it with "normal" SL's.
But hopefully this be to some help for you...

Good luck, and go smoke some tires..!

Last edited by maxabo; 09-28-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 AM

Exclamation Ain't that a *%#&@

Great, that was ten times the info I ever received from the dealer... thanks. I'm gonna give my service guy one last chance to rectify "traction" issues, though. I'm very jealous of your baby. Must be nice to know that it's totally up to you for control, when you want to.

There is also a 'popping-joint' issue in the front suspension (knuckle-joint, I think) that makes a popping noise when creeping over uneven surfaces. One was already replaced at my dealer in another SL Black. Might wanna listen for that in your SL.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:37 AM

...Might wanna listen for that in your SL.
I think I know what kind of sound/noise you're referring to.
But I don't seem to have it in this one... Yet I might ad, because I've had it in other SL's...

Speaking of jealous, I think you have some monster car there!
Been taking any scalps lately (SL55's, SL65's, SLR's or Ferrari's)..?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 AM

I'm definately a 'toys-R-us' kid, because I was traveling opposite a line of traffic, when I noticed some very distinct headlights stopped in traffic, facing my way.

Immediately, I got in a left-turn lane and was able to make a U turn before their light changed.

Yep, I could now see it was a Ferrari 599 Fiorano. I began setting up my Black's suspension and flicking it into SPORT mode as I creeped down the street, baiting the 599.

To my excitement, I could see his headlights dipping in and out of slower cars ahead of him. He definately saw me and wanted some.

Not 30 seconds and he was flying up on my passenger quarter. I waited just a hair longer, making sure it would be an honest challenge, then all hell broke loose.

I stomped the gas pedal, listening to the two massive turbos wind up, and shot down the road like a fighter-jet off an aircraft-carrier. The Ferrari didn't have a chance and he definately had the jump on me. My 300 extra ft. lbs. of torque, over the stallion, really showed.

I began to walk away from him in a series of turbo blasts. I won't mention actual speeds, but it came real close to my governed amount, hint, hint... Yes, a very long stretch of open road, with no side roads for danger...

As we slowed to reasonable speeds, we both gave each other thumbs up and he gave me a bowing, hands-down motion...it was funny and he had a great sense of humor, especially after getting spanked by an AMG.

I am afraid, though, he will be back with a vengeance. Possibly a serious tune or modification on that beastly 599.

All other challenges have, usually, been an assortment of 911s, and all that took was a blip of my gas pedal and they would back down. Not looking forward to a Carrera GT though...
Old 09-29-2010, 06:11 AM

I'm definately a 'toys-R-us' kid, because I was traveling opposite a line of traffic, when I noticed some very distinct headlights stopped in traffic, facing my way.

Immediately, I got in a left-turn lane and was able to make a U turn before their light changed.

Yep, I could now see it was a Ferrari 599 Fiorano. I began setting up my Black's suspension and flicking it into SPORT mode as I creeped down the street, baiting the 599.

To my excitement, I could see his headlights dipping in and out of slower cars ahead of him. He definately saw me and wanted some.

Not 30 seconds and he was flying up on my passenger quarter. I waited just a hair longer, making sure it would be an honest challenge, then all hell broke loose.

I stomped the gas pedal, listening to the two massive turbos wind up, and shot down the road like a fighter-jet off an aircraft-carrier. The Ferrari didn't have a chance and he definately had the jump on me. My 300 extra ft. lbs. of torque, over the stallion, really showed.

I began to walk away from him in a series of turbo blasts. I won't mention actual speeds, but it came real close to my governed amount, hint, hint... Yes, a very long stretch of open road, with no side roads for danger...

As we slowed to reasonable speeds, we both gave each other thumbs up and he gave me a bowing, hands-down motion...it was funny and he had a great sense of humor, especially after getting spanked by an AMG.

I am afraid, though, he will be back with a vengeance. Possibly a serious tune or modification on that beastly 599.

All other challenges have, usually, been an assortment of 911s, and all that took was a blip of my gas pedal and they would back down. Not looking forward to a Carrera GT though...
Ha hah haa...
That was some funny reading...

I've only seen that car (65BS) once!
And that was at AMG Headquarters in Affalterbach, Germany.
In all of Sweden I think we have 1 or 2...
So the chance of me being a passenger in one, let alone drive one, is PRETTY distant...

When I think of it,
not only engine thrust alone, but also the gear shifting times, takes up a big part of my curiosity regarding the 65BS...

Can I ask you a question;
I had my TCU tuned by Väth, Germany (also ECU of course, but that's another matter and beside my point).
But I must say I'm still not very impressed!
Is there a big difference from stock 65 to the BS, when it comes to shifting..?
Does it have "downshift blipping" for instance..?

Last edited by maxabo; 09-29-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM

Driving the Black compares to riding a mountain bike, to a motorcycle. The steering, alone, feels much lighter than standard SLs. The instantaneous response of the throttle and why it pulls away from competitors so quickly.

Actual shift response, I need more time with the paddles, but, remember that I only have five gears... when I get sucked into a race, I just engage sport mode and "try" to disengage my traction control... It's all I need...would love to try a standard AMG SL65 and see what the seven gears does for me...

Absolutely no downshift "blipping"... straight, flat down shifts

I'm dying to attend an AMG course with another SL65BS, so, I can get full appriciation of the beast... It needs a track, but it does just fine around town...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Standard SL65 also has 5 gears.

You should try the SLS with 7 gears.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Yes, the SL65 is also just have 5 gears.

Too bad that you haven't driven one, to compare..!
But I doubt you would have any problem getting a test drive, arriving in a 65BS...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Ahhhhhh sorry, then I should be right at home with a 65. I guess AMG plays it safe with twin-turboed v12s. And your right, the dealer would be more than happy to lick-up to me !!!

Yeah, an SLS just pulled in a garage, several houses down. I think I'll have to do the neighborly thing and go bang on his door... with the Black sitting out front, of course. Hope he's friendly... Gorgeous damn car, that SLS !
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 AM

1988 535i 5 speed
Don't know how I didn't see this till now, but that description of the race between the 599 and the 65 was great. OP, hope you still have the car. Its a beautiful machine.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Thank you for all the replies. As for Benz Boy, I just wanted to say, "Yep, I still got the 'ol beast". Now, it's 2013 and we will be witnessing the '14 models real soon... That being said, I'd like to discuss a real eye-opener that I had a few short weeks ago... BMW has this "new-model" loaner program where they lend their "good" customers the "good" stuff!!! I was given a 2013 M6 convertible for a week. Having beat on my daughter's X6M, I was fairly aware of BMW's evil arsenal. It was a Sunday morning and the Black Series needed a walk, so, I just had to invite my son to follow in the M6 loaner. As we got to a rather lengthy, uninterrupted stretch of road, I gave my son the thumbs up for a quick drag. Having already set the Black Series in sport/manual mode, I slammed the gas pedal through the floor-board. The twin turbos whirled-up like an F-18 fighter jet, off a carrier. My head was planted in the head rest and my field of vision began to blur. As I glanced in my rear-view, I was sure to see a pair of very tiny BMW LEDs .... Nope, not even a little.... The M6 was stuck on my tail like flypaper to a housefly. Dammit, I said, as I increased throttle.... No joy, the Beamer had me the whole way... Well, I had a great 5 year run against other quarter-million dollar cars, but, today, this $115k M6 had proved that technology doesn't sleep. No sir, I will have to retire the crown and the old saying, " there will always be someone bigger and badder" rings so true in the factory production business... I will always have my lil Blackie by my side, but I have to come to terms with the fact that she will become outdated (technically only) real soon.....
Thanks again for your responses....keep'm coming....!!!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:05 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Thank you for all the replies. As for Benz Boy, I just wanted to say, "Yep, I still got the 'ol beast". Now, it's 2013 and we will be witnessing the '14 models real soon... That being said, I'd like to discuss a real eye-opener that I had a few short weeks ago... BMW has this "new-model" loaner program where they lend their "good" customers the "good" stuff!!! I was given a 2013 M6 convertible for a week. Having beat on my daughter's X6M, I was fairly aware of BMW's evil arsenal. It was a Sunday morning and the Black Series needed a walk, so, I just had to invite my son to follow in the M6 loaner. As we got to a rather lengthy, uninterrupted stretch of road, I gave my son the thumbs up for a quick drag. Having already set the Black Series in sport/manual mode, I slammed the gas pedal through the floor-board. The twin turbos whirled-up like an F-18 fighter jet, off a carrier. My head was planted in the head rest and my field of vision began to blur. As I glanced in my rear-view, I was sure to see a pair of very tiny BMW LEDs .... Nope, not even a little.... The M6 was stuck on my tail like flypaper to a housefly. Dammit, I said, as I increased throttle.... No joy, the Beamer had me the whole way... Well, I had a great 5 year run against other quarter-million dollar cars, but, today, this $115k M6 had proved that technology doesn't sleep. No sir, I will have to retire the crown and the old saying, " there will always be someone bigger and badder" rings so true in the factory production business... I will always have my lil Blackie by my side, but I have to come to terms with the fact that she will become outdated (technically only) real soon.....
On GTboard there is a race between an SL Blk and the new bmw F10...and it was not pretty. M5 got rapped. Might want to have a little check up on your beasty

Or your eye sight (sorry, but u did say ur eyes began to blur )
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM

AMG
Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series vs BMW M5 F10 .

Mercedes SL65 AMG Black Series vs BMW M6 Coupe (V10 2005 model year) The driver says "Fee fan" in the beginning of the race. It means wtf...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Talking Black Series vs "M" Power

Hey guys, just wanted to announce my optometrist said to lay off too much heavy-throttle exposure on the Black. Could go permanently blind!!! Just a response for Mr. ZOD's suggestion.... By the way, these videos are showing the incredibly slow (for an M anyway) F10 beamers... If I can walk a 599, F10s are a light snack in comparison. In fact, my daughter's '12 X6M, on launch mode, will eat up any of the old M models, as heavy as her lil SUV is.... You guys really have to feel what I mean and go to your local Beamer dealer for a blast on the '13s. They are way quicker than the previous M models... As for Mr. Zod, I agree with you on what style of M you refer to, but those Ms are garbage, compared to this new generation. If I can get my hands on another '13 or '14 M, I will video record a nice open-road run to show you (from both cockpits) so you see that I'm running "full-out" in the Black. That being said, if my Black didn't have that damn traction control engaged permanently, I know she would walk the new Beamers too.... The Black just loses too much time correcting the torque-blast initiated by my right foot.... Wayyyyy to much time instead of trusting all that power to the driver and letting ME worry about slippage and control. Then I could guarantee Beamer domination...........
Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTS-V
Try driving around in "dyno mode"? I think EVERYTHING is off then.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4
I dont get it. You said you "slammed the gas pedal through the floor", then "dammit" you say he is still there (the M6), to your suprise apparentley and then you "increased the throttle" and he still hung with you. That sounds like a crock o' ***** to me... either you floored it from the beginning or didnt. Anyways, go trade your Black in for an M6.

M6 can beat a 599 ahahahahaha lmfao

EDIT: and come to think of it there is absolutely no way in hell you'd be *** raping a 599 either, especially with the head start you claim he had when he was flying by your rear quarter panel. Cant believe no one has called you on your bs yet... a 599 can easily trap in the 130+ range. It'd be a close race between the Black and the 599.

Last edited by hpV12; 11-18-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 PM

Audi A4
Oh and you're scared of a CGT... but why? Looky here champ:

Judging by that race you could beat a CGT sleeping in your Black... that also ties with an M6. Lololol
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Well, well, well, Prada here seems to be an "authority" on my black series. Lemme clarify a few items for him (I'm assuming Prada's a he), even though people like Prada seem watch a few YouTube videos then claim the title "expert". Would it be safe to say that he neither owns or has driven a 599, CGT, M6 or an SL Black? I think it is....
Starting with the 599, it was as I said and I even had a big passenger, while the 599 was driver only. Maybe he didn't put it in a performance mode (cuz I sure did) and/or was not well aquianted with his stallion. But, in all honesty, my having 300 more ft. lbs. of torque MAY have a small contribution to my success that day....whata you think sport?
As for my drag race with my son in the M6, I did smash that pedal, again, and again, trying to shake Beamer. I didn't go into total detail in my original post, but I guess I had to spell it out for you. Beamers have double clutches and the SL's is single, old-school, for one thing, and for another, my Black was busy trying to correct itself with it's over zealous traction control, thus losing positive, forward motion.... But, I guess someone who just "reads" numbers and "watches" videos, would have no clue to an actual outcome.... Good luck with that gorgeous E-Class, by the way, sport...
Old 11-18-2013, 04:40 PM

Audi A4
Well, well, well, Prada here seems to be an "authority" on my black series. Lemme clarify a few items for him (I'm assuming Prada's a he), even though people like Prada seem watch a few YouTube videos then claim the title "expert". Would it be safe to say that he neither owns or has driven a 599, CGT, M6 or an SL Black? I think it is....
Starting with the 599, it was as I said and I even had a big passenger, while the 599 was driver only. Maybe he didn't put it in a performance mode (cuz I sure did) and/or was not well aquianted with his stallion. But, in all honesty, my having 300 more ft. lbs. of torque MAY have a small contribution to my success that day....whata you think sport?
As for my drag race with my son in the M6, I did smash that pedal, again, and again, trying to shake Beamer. I didn't go into total detail in my original post, but I guess I had to spell it out for you. Beamers have double clutches and the SL's is single, old-school, for one thing, and for another, my Black was busy trying to correct itself with it's over zealous traction control, thus losing positive, forward motion.... But, I guess someone who just "reads" numbers and "watches" videos, would have no clue to an actual outcome.... Good luck with that gorgeous E-Class, by the way, sport...
Why quote "expert"? I never said I was one. All I said is you sound like you're full of crap. You cant even coherently string together a couple words to make a proper sentence. And wtf first you say you cant believe how it kept up and now well, that dang overly zealous traction control kept you from pulling away.

And yeah I just read numbers and watch youtube You sound like you make your race stories up with crayons.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 PM

Ahhhhh now I understand.... I'd be pissed off too if my daddy refused to upgrade my outdated E-Class sitting on Porsche wheels... Enjoy that champ!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
I own an SL65 and had a F599. You are not laying waste to a 599 with a SL65 Black that is stock.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 PM

Remember, there is quite a difference between an SL65 and a Black Series SL. I did not waste the 599, but pulled on it. AMG replaced the standard SL65 turbos with larger units and tweaked the motor, thus creating a Black Series, so, I do agree with you in regards to a standard 65, but the black really is able to walk a non-GTO 599. Every shift would pull a little bit further away from the stallion, until we both reached well into the hundreds and let off. 300 foot pounds of torque over the Ferrari cannot be ignored (that being said, the stallion did sound wayyyyy better than my Merc)... How do you like your 65? What year? and what color?

Last edited by VeryBlackSL65; 11-27-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:15 AM

AMG
whats the news on the sl65? still enjoying it?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mad at my SL65 Black !!!!!!!!!!!