SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Which CD Changer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2005 | 07:53 PM

2001 SLK320, 6-speed, black, two-tone black/tan interior.
Which CD Changer?

Hi folks,

I'm a little confused about the model to purchase for the CD Changer for my 2001 SLK 320. I know I need fiber optic but I have seen a couple of models on EBay that look like they could work, but I doubt both of them would. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Dennis
Old 05-17-2005 | 06:16 PM
Almost a Member!

cd changer

Note the model numbers on the ones on E-Bay then call your local MB dealer to see which one they sell for your car.
I bought mine off E-Bay but still had to have the dealer do some final hook up to make it work.
CD Changer on E-Bay = $350
Dealers labor = $100
Saved $550 by not having the dealer do it all.
Old 05-17-2005 | 06:22 PM

I though a 6-CD changer is a $400.00 option when you order you new SLK. Do you realy save that much by getting one from e-bay for $350.00 + installation cost ?
Old 05-17-2005 | 06:45 PM
Almost a Member!

cd changer

I'm not sure what the cost of ordering it new as an option but I bought my SLK used (from a dealer) with no cd changer. The dealer wanted over $1000 to install one.
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:36 PM

2003 E320
Two MB models will work with the car. The earlier one is a little bigger and the later one is smaller but both function the same. Just make sure it is a "fiber optic" changer. There is also a Becker model (2662?) that will work and can be cheaper but the mounting is different than the standard MB changers.

There seems to be mixed success in getting it to work after installing. Some have just hooked it up and it works. In other cases, especially with a telephone on the fiber optic link, the dealer has to "program" the car to tell the car that the changer is there. It is a 5 minute job at the most but a lot of dealers do not like to do it unless they sell you the changer so they charge a lot to make up for their missed sale.

Last edited by pfphipps; 05-25-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2005 | 04:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK230
I've been working on this for about two months. Some things I've learned:
1. Either the MC3198 or MC3010 will work. Others might, but these two will for sure. The only difference seems to be the design of the outer door. I had a 3010 installed with the factory bracket but had to return it when it wouldn't work.
2. The majority of the work is installing the bracket in the trunk. You have to drill three holes in the sheetmetal. The bracket for the SLK is also the most expensive one and is very hard to find- I ended up getting one from my local dealer for about $150. It comes with all the necessary hardware, so it ended up being worth it- to me. None of the other brackets will work.
3. Make sure you ask how it was removed if it was used. It is critical that the power is shut off completely to the unit before it is removed. (I got one that was "locked up" because it was not removed correctly.)
4. Any fiber optic unit will work, but the ones from the MLs have a cord that extends out from the back which will not look pretty. It might be removable, but it doesn't look like it. The different model number [often MC3110] will also identify it as not even possibly being a unit designed for the SLK.

Good luck.
I'm still trying to get one that works at a reasonable price.