SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Winters nearly here.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2002 | 12:10 PM

2002 SLK 320
Wink Winters nearly here.....

Hello again,

Well, winter is nearly here... well not really; but I am starting to think about winter wheels for my SLK320.

I have the SP1-Sports Package which means that I have a beautiful set of AMG rims and nice low profile Contacsport tires. I am definitely expecting that these will be somewhat <i>hazardous</i> in the snowy conditions, so I am thinking of replacing them with winter tires.

Now, I am sure that many of you north-east SLK drivers have changed tires/wheels for the winter... so what do you use?

Someone I was speaking to recommended that I replace both the 17" rims and the tires with 16" so that I have more <b>sidewall</b> which adds to the durability of the tire. Is there any real weight to this, or is it just a sales pitch?

Any advice, experiences, and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!
Old 08-12-2002 | 06:12 PM

Hey Bean!

Glad you asked this question. I have the exact same car, and need to start looking at tires too.

I will be watching this thread closely.

Thanks,

Shaummy
Old 08-13-2002 | 06:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
Benz want small narrow Winter tires on the SLK.........

If you review the owners manual, the recommended tire is a 205 width. Specifically the 205/55Rx16. Tire Rack will suggest the same, but be sure to get a full blown Winter tire. Mud and snow tires just don't cut it with the SLK.
Old 08-14-2002 | 12:03 PM

2002 SLK 320
Chrome...

I've also heard that chrome wheels can suffer a lot in the winter and that it is recommended that those with chrome rims change them. Is this true?

I don't have chrome rims myself, but thought I'd get some info for a couple of friends who have chrome wheels (not on SLKs - not that it matters).
Old 08-14-2002 | 03:59 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 slk 230 komp
reply chrome wheels

yes....i am wondering also

i have 19 icnh chrome wheels on my slk.............what should i do for the winter?

i still have my factory 16 inchers
Old 08-14-2002 | 07:55 PM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
snow tires on 1998 SLK

I had both a 1993 300SE and a 1998 SLK--concurrently, now both traded, and did use 4 wheel snow tires on both those vehickes. No problems in past 8 years; but with the SLK, the low ground clearance became a problem with hitting "ice chunks" at driveway entrances, and cross street intersections, where the plowing crews don't clear the snow/ice completely. SO, I had a clearance problem, not a Traction problem. Without snow tires, the SLK would be useless w/o snow tires. By snow tires I so not mean "all season-M&S"" but bona fide snow tires without metal studs.

The snow tires should be as "narrow" as possible--so low profile tires which are wide are not as good as a higher profile narrow width tread!

I've had good experiences with both Gislavid (swedish) and the more common (soft rubber) type snow tire treads. Tread mileage (useful) was not that good as I expected.

GIFF Albright of State College, PA (north Central Allegheny Mountain region of Pennsylvania)