SLK/R170: slk problem today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 slk 230 komp
slk problem today

hello,, today my car seems to be acting funny....when i drive slowly it feels as if im driving sluggish with the emergency brake up...when i increase speed,,, the car jumps when it switches gears (auto tranny)

the car has 35,000 miles on it

keep in mind im in new jersey and it is 110 degrees ( could the heat be a factor)

also,, two days ago the gas attendent put regualr gas in my tank by mistake...(could that be the problem)

i refuse to believe my tranny is messed up?

http://images.cardomain.com/installs...060_3_full.jpg
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 PM

2002 SLK 230 Kompressor
You should check something, try setting the speed limit, if in the speed limit display you get "-----" as an answer and hear some "beeps" from the computer. Congratulations! you will have problems FOREVER, i have this problem in my 2002 SLK230 since 2002 and MB service does not know what this problem is, they replaced air sensor, tempomat computer, lots of cables and the problem shows itself sometimes (one week every 3 months at least) then the problem disappears for some time.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:20 PM

SLK230
A couple things. See if you accidently flipped the tranny swicth from S to W. Very simple to accidently bump it. Second, check the fluid in the tranny, I don't recall if the MB auto tranny has a dip stick or you have to under the car and check using the fill plug. Third, put the stock wheels back on and see if the difference in rolling mass makes the problem go away. Does the check engine light go on?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
I'm with CopperDesigno. One of the first things I'd check is the transmission fluid level. Unfortunately, it's not intended to be a do-it-yourself task. There is a dipstick tube but no dipstick. You have to buy the dipstick from an MB dealer and the tube is sealed with a plastic cap that must be broken to remove, so you have to buy a replacement cap too. Personally, I think it would be wise to have your transmission fluid changed. It'll be expensive, but even if there's nothing wrong with your transmission, a fluid change at around 30K miles will pay off in the long run.

bassignana, I don't think Jay's problem is the same as yours because US cars don't have the LIM function integrated into the cruise control (tempomat).