SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Check Engine Light; Periodic P0170 Reading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 SLK 230 - US Model
Question Check Engine Light; Periodic P0170 Reading

For the last month or so my check engine light has been coming on for a short while, then without apparent reason, going off. The OBD code has always been P0170. I recently cleaned the MAF sensor, which ended up canceling the P0170 code a few months ago.

Any idea what would cause the same code to periodically appear, then go away, then reappear again?

Any suggestions for diagnosis and /or repair would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM

99 SLK 230 - US Model
Red face

Just a follow up to the my earlier message.

The light came back on again so I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it again with electronic contact cleaner. After 10 miles of driving the light went off and has remained off since. I've put appx 800 miles on the car since the MAF was cleaned and the car is running perfectly.

I assume the MAF sensor is just getting old and eventually will need to be replaced; it has appx 85K miles on it.

Thanks,
Old 07-09-2006, 04:22 AM

where is the Maf senso location

Originally Posted by contractsguy
Just a follow up to the my earlier message.

The light came back on again so I removed the MAF sensor and cleaned it again with electronic contact cleaner. After 10 miles of driving the light went off and has remained off since. I've put appx 800 miles on the car since the MAF was cleaned and the car is running perfectly.

I assume the MAF sensor is just getting old and eventually will need to be replaced; it has appx 85K miles on it.

Thanks,

hi my light just came on. however, i replaced my air filter with a K&N filter and after a 5 days my check engine light went on. i was doing some research and i think it might be my MAF sensor...but i have no idea where it is... can you let me know?
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would help if you were more specific as to which engine and year but in generic terms since you have a generic SLK engine, it's in the pipe leading up to the throttle body. In my SLK230, vintage 1998, it's close to the intercooler on the drivers side in the front corner, look at the 2" diameter pipe going from the intercooler to the throttle body and real close to the radiator you'll see a wire connector going to the pipe with some clamps holding it in, that's the bugger but then again you could have an SLK320, a newer SLK230, a SLK32, maybe even a SLK200.