SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Carfax PLEASE: Willing to make a donation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Oxford Green BMW 530i SMG
Carfax PLEASE: Willing to make a donation

Before anyone accuses me of being a cheap *******, my month of unlimited carfax (my second month this year) just expired on Friday:

I currently have a 2002 C230k and I'm looking for a low mileaged SLK230. I had a '98 my sophmore year in college, but I sold it because I paid my way though school. I just graduated, and now I'm looking to get back into another SLK.

I ran almost 360 carfaxes when I had mine and was always glad to help someone out at no cost. I'd be willing to paypal someone a couple of bucks to help me out. I'm not going to be a vulutre about it. I'll only ask for this one and if I need another, I'll just buy another month.

If anyone can help me out, the VIN is: WDBKK47F1XF095601 and my email address is severecaraddict@aol.com

Thanks in advance,

Shannon
Old 07-20-2006, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a nice car, I always liked the Magma Red SLK's and I think that's a rare color for '99, specially with the oyster/charcoal interior. Would be nice if it had the sport option. What's the price on it?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Sounds like a nice car, I always liked the Magma Red SLK's and I think that's a rare color for '99, specially with the oyster/charcoal interior. Would be nice if it had the sport option. What's the price on it?
How did you know what color is it? I don't know much about it yet. Its the red w/oyster like you mentioned, low miles, no sports package. I'd DEFINITELY pay the extra to upgrade the bumpers, wheels, side skirts for the look of the sport. There's a '99 SLK230 Sport w/Salsa interior not too far from me, but it has 88k and they still want $20k for it...CRACK KILLS!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We just got a really clean white with oyster 98 with 88K miles for 13.5k and that was average in price of what we looked at. A nice black one with 76K miles for 13.9K (was nice but not clean like the one we got) and there was a silver one for 12,900 that had 88K miles but we didn't get a chance to look at it, all 3 on Autotrader. We also shopped a clean silver 99 Sport with 85K miles, 14.9K, really nice but I just didn't trust the car, bad vibe, had a leaking dif with a dif ringing noise at certain rpms and some other stuff wrong and a totally worn belts, to me a sign that the car was serviced by Jiffy Lube or something because no MB dealer would let a car drive off with a belt in that condition, chunks coming off or a leaking diff. I look for a car that looks well maintained. I have never used carfax, I just get a feeling about a car and can tell if it's been repainted or in a bad accident or the odometer has been tampered with.

As for the skirts and bumper, trust me, if you have to have that look, get a sport, you'll end up spending a lot to buy a kit, get it painted right (MB silver for example is not cheap to paint right) and if you don't install it yourself then bodyshop time. So it's better to pay a grand more for a nice sport than to mess with it. Personally, I actually like our white and black, doesn't bother me. What I don't like as much is Silver/Black. I think the Magma red and black would look good.

Here's my secret, the reason I knew so much about that car - http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/index.html?lng=eng
Old 07-21-2006, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm willing to pay a little bit more for a car with less miles. When I sold my '98 in October 2002, it had just over 30k miles on it. I LOVED the car, but I was working full-time to pay for it (it was two months shy of payoff) while going to school full-time and I really needed the money for the next semester's tuition. I sold it for $21k (I believe it was) to a middle aged couple who I knew would appreciate and take care of it.

My C230k has 36k miles and I friggin love the car, but I made a promise to myself after I graduated that I'd get another SLK as a way to reward myself. My car is paid off, so its time to get a SLK230 (preferably sport).

Carfax is NOT very reliable as I saw when I was subscribed earlier this month. I'd check the status of cars I sold years ago, and they'd still be showing I was the the owner. I ran the VIN on my dad's pickup truck and it shows it hitting a bridge in December 2004, and he owned it then and never hit anything with it. I look at carfax as a good place to start, rather than the holy grail of all information on a car.