SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Durability of the SLK Retractable top and other ?s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durability of the SLK Retractable top and other ?s

I might be in the market for a first-generation SLK. One thing that I was worried about is the reliability, and Durability of the SLK top. Retractable hardtops are getting pretty common nowadays but since the SLK was one of the first I though there might be some issues. Besides that, I had some other questions that I would appreciate if someone could help answer for me. Thanks!

1) How secure and snug are the tops after taking years of use? Do they still feel snug and give that coupe-like driving experience or do they start to wiggle and flex.

2) I heard Mercedes switched from a supercharged 2.3 liter I-4 to a supercharged 1.8 liter I-4. Is this true? If so, what year did this occur?

3) Can you give me a quick comparison of the engine choices, in terms of power, smoothness, and reliability? (including the supercharged 3.2).

4) Does the car have any major issues as far as future problems. I know every car has little things that go wrong every now and then, but are there any widespread issues, and if so what are they.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:01 AM

2001 SLK320 (It's red - Magma Red)
I have a 2001 SLK320 that I purchased new. I've had very few problems with the car, and no problems with the top. Here are specific answers to your questions:

1) My top still feels secure. I do get some rattle going over bumpy road, but I've had that since day 1 and it is an annoyance rather than grounds for concern. My top will leak a drop of water or two if left in heavy rains for hours, but I do mean just a drop or two - nothing is ever wet inside.

2) Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think M-B changed the engine in the SLK230. The 2.3 to 1.8 change came for the C230 SportCoupe and that must have been 2003 or 2004 or so. In any event, I don't remember them changing the SLK230 engine, but a quick check online would clear that up.

3) The 230 is the 2.3 supercharged and has (in my opinion) a little less low end grunt that the 320. The 320 is a 3.2 V-6 and has a very broad power band which is useful and entertaining in daily driving. I've never had the good fortune to drive the SLK32.

4) The common problems are the brake lights (MB should be issuing a recall soon) and the mass air flow sensor. In 40k miles, I've only replaced the front tie rods and brakes. The car has been service free for the most part.

Good luck with your decision. Its a fun car.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:36 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
Originally Posted by Zerostatic
I might be in the market for a first-generation SLK. One thing that I was worried about is the reliability, and Durability of the SLK top. Retractable hardtops are getting pretty common nowadays but since the SLK was one of the first I though there might be some issues. Besides that, I had some other questions that I would appreciate if someone could help answer for me. Thanks!

1) How secure and snug are the tops after taking years of use? Do they still feel snug and give that coupe-like driving experience or do they start to wiggle and flex.
I have owned a 1998 230, and I still own my 2002 32. Both cars have had their roofs opened and closed at least twice every day that I drove them to work, and multipule times when not at work. I never had a problem with "wiggles" or flexing. Keep the seals clean and you will never hear anything resembling a squeak. The roof locks down so tight, you can see the rear view mirror move.

2) I heard Mercedes switched from a supercharged 2.3 liter I-4 to a supercharged 1.8 liter I-4. Is this true? If so, what year did this occur?

3) Can you give me a quick comparison of the engine choices, in terms of power, smoothness, and reliability? (including the supercharged 3.2).
The 230 is slightly rough at idle, but smooths out nicely once it picks up revs. It's a four banger, so you really can't expect much more then that. It has adiquate power, but that's about it. Good all around powerplant for the car, but slightly shy on grunt...
The SLK 32 also has a slightly rough idle, but for a different reason, pobably the camshaft timeing. Off idle it's smooth, and has more then enough power, ask any Corvette driver...
All SLK engines have proven to be very reliable. Some have gone over 100,000 miles so far with no reported problems.

4) Does the car have any major issues as far as future problems. I know every car has little things that go wrong every now and then, but are there any widespread issues, and if so what are they.
4)Most problems so far have been cosmetic: Peeling consols are noteworthy. There is supposed to be a recall on tail light failures soon, and I have heard of ONLY one automatic tranny failure.