SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Looking at SLK - few issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at SLK - few issues

I am looking at buying a used 2001 SLK 320 with 40k miles. While looking over the vehicle I noticed that there is a slight gap between the driver side headlight and the bumper. It seems like it is out of alignment but I am unsure. The strange thing to me was two other SLKs I looked at had the same problem. Is there a problem with bumper or headlights on these cars?

Also is there anything else I should be looking at before purchasing? Ecspecially anything with the roof of the car and the hyrdralics?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Here's my guess on the bumper: The car has a low front spoiler integrated into the bumper. Many folks manage to hit the spoiler on parking curbs, etc. The could possibly knock the bumper assembly out of alignment (it's just a cover).

Put the car on a lift and take a look from underneath.

Other stuff: Check to make sure the water drains at the front corners of the trunk lid are not clogged. If they are, water can get into the door lock control module (PSE) which is located next to the spare tire in the trunk. It costs a few $$$ to replace this unit if it gets wet.

Test the top a couple of times by raising and lowering it. It should be used regularly to keep the mechanism working right.

That's all I can think of for now. Aside from the usual car "stuff" (brakes, tires, service history, etc.)
Old 09-10-2006, 03:30 PM

2001 SLK230
All of the above from Page62 plus one more while you're at it: check the two front drains by the hood hinges as well. If they're clogged, you'll get a nice puddle of water on the passenger foot well (and underneath that is the Bose amplifier!!)
Old 09-11-2006, 01:14 PM

Thanks guys for your input. Is there anything else I should look at involving the roof. I also was looking to buy an SLK230 several years ago and remember there being a paint problem with some of the roofs. I believe it was a mark where it sat on something inside the trunk. Is this still a problem in the '01 320 model?

Finally can anyone find the interior specs of the two SLK's? I'm a rather large person and need the interior space. I'm just assuming that the 320 is larger inside. Is this the case or is the interior the same size between the two.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MDCharger
Thanks guys for your input. Is there anything else I should look at involving the roof. I also was looking to buy an SLK230 several years ago and remember there being a paint problem with some of the roofs. I believe it was a mark where it sat on something inside the trunk. Is this still a problem in the '01 320 model?

Finally can anyone find the interior specs of the two SLK's? I'm a rather large person and need the interior space. I'm just assuming that the 320 is larger inside. Is this the case or is the interior the same size between the two.

You will have to sit in one.

Actually its the engine thats bigger, ie more cylinders

Bazzle
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 06MDCharger
The two SLKs are the same size inside. If you don't fit in this car (I'm 6'2" and maxed out in there), you may have to try the newer R171 SLK280/350 models (big bucks!).

However, you can gain a little interior room by ripping out the driver's side knee bolster. It's a big plastic thing attached to the lower half of the dash. Tearing it out has helped me a lit!