SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: One Touch Top Operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00/'04 SLK230 Designo Copper, '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate
Thumbs up One Touch Top Operation

In my quest to find a way to operate the top without having to hold the button throughout cycle, and not spend an arm and a leg, I happened upon a device called SimpleRoofSLK. It does just as I was looking for. It allows the top to be opened or closed with one movement of the button.

It was designed by a German engineer who's selling them for pretty much cost. He designed them for himself and members of his German R170 forum.

When I enquired about it he was surprised word had got to the US, but was more than happy to send me one (You can get them assembled or unassembled. I got mine unassembled for $30, shipping included.). I won't go into detail only to say we worked together to get the Instruction/Installation Manual in English which I have attached to this post.

He will also soon be working on two additional modules that will allow the top to be operated beyond the 5 mph MB design limit, as well as a module for remote operation using the OEM fob.

I'll post another update when I get mine and install it.

The manual is very explanatory with color pictures and how to order information, check it out:

http://www14.rapidupload.com/d.php?f...&filepath=1574

PS. I have to give Bazzle some of the credit for producing the German thread.

Last edited by DesignoSLK; 09-21-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM

How To Download

Downloading isn't as obvious as I would have liked, but hey...it's free hosting.

Click on "Download File" in grey lettering at the top left b/w the line and "Sponsored Links Ads by Goooooogle"
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 AM

This thing is great! It took me 15 mins. to assemble it and another 45 to install it. It works just as described in the manual.

I’ve included a link to a quick movie to show it operating.

http://www12.rapidupload.com/file.php?filepath=26962 Click “Download file” in the upper left.

Happy Motoring!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 PM

'99 SLK230
where do I order?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 PM

'99 SLK230
also.. I found this http://www.formymercedes.com/mb_resu...for+Vario+Roof
it looks pretty nice and does everything I want but it costs a lot.. my main *wants* are the one touch top down, remote operation, and the in motion top operation. but the finger protection feature is kinda nice.. reduces liability.. thoughts?
Old 10-05-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by scbysnx
where do I order?
If you download the instruction manual, Dirk's (designer) email is at the end of the manual. He's on holiday until the 14th, so don't expect a reply right away.

The BVRC is an excellent unit. If I had the $350 lying around, I'd probably get it. I will tell you though, Dirk is planning the addition of remote operation and an override of the speed control. He's selling them pretty much at cost + shipping.

Either way, you'll get a great mod to your SLK!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What happens if trunk divider is off, will it keep trying to open the top forever? Will it stop?

Also, does Dirk read english to buy from him? What sort of payment method is acceptable? Paypal?

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 10-05-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
What happens if trunk divider is off, will it keep trying to open the top forever? Will it stop?

Also, does Dirk read english to buy from him? What sort of payment method is acceptable? Paypal?
If the divider is not in place, it will function the same way it would w/o the mod. The lamp will just blink.

Yes, Dirk is better at English then he gives himslf credit for. And, yes, he takes Paypal, that's how I paid him.

Dirk is on holiday until the 14th, so you may not hear from him until then.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 PM

'99 SLK230
How does it feel to be an unofficial official spokesperson? haha Did he ship yours before he went on vacation? I want some insight.. does it cancel if you rock the switch the other way? Is this in the manual? I would read it but I'm really tired and I've already started drinking for the night.. if its in the manual please just say "read the manual"
Old 10-07-2006, 02:21 AM

How does it feel to be an unofficial official spokesperson? haha Did he ship yours before he went on vacation? I want some insight.. does it cancel if you rock the switch the other way? Is this in the manual? I would read it but I'm really tired and I've already started drinking for the night.. if its in the manual please just say "read the manual"
Read the manual...lol. Yes, I got mine a week or so before he went on vacation. And yes, it stops if you rock the switch and it will restart in either direction...and yes it's in the manual. Oh...and one more thing. I just got home 11:20pm PST, it's too late for me to start drinking, soooooo have one for me. But not too many.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Almost a Member!

ahhh where the pdf file? only MPG was downloaded
Old 10-10-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by osdesierto
ahhh where the pdf file? only MPG was downloaded
It's the link in the first post above.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:36 PM

Update

Thought I'd let anyone interested know that the guy who's selling these just orderd parts for 100 more. You can get them assembled or unassembled.

FYI...I've had mine installed for a month now and it works GREAT! I operate it most everyday usually 3 times...To work, lunch, back from work. It rarely rains in Vegas.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Hi

One of the things I really like about this forum is finding out about all the neat products that are avail for our SLKs, thanks to people/posters like Designo.

The BVRC from http://www.formymercedes.com works excellent and is easy to install; I put one in my 1st SLK, a 98 230 Kompressor and then again in my "new" SLK, an 01 320 6 spd.

It does 1 touch, works with the remote, and you can over ride the slow speed restriction or not depending on how you set it up.

Though as mentioned, at $350 its pricey. This "new" one looks interesting; had it been avail when I was shopping I'd have given it some serious thought.

Whichever way you go, you won't believe you were able to live without it :-)
Good luck.

Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ordered one, should have shipped it out by now. How long does it take to get to the U.S. from Germany?
Old 10-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Ordered one, should have shipped it out by now. How long does it take to get to the U.S. from Germany?
I don't remember if I sent you a PM on this, but it shouldn't take more than a week or so. I got mine rather quickly.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got mine from Dirk and it's working great thanks to Dirk and DesignoSLK for their help. With one touch power windows a necessity these days, makes you wonder why MB doesn't do this from the factory.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:25 AM

'99 SLK230
Got mine from Dirk and it's working great thanks to Dirk and DesignoSLK for their help. With one touch power windows a necessity these days, makes you wonder why MB doesn't do this from the factory.
little fingers big top its a liability thing probably
Old 11-11-2006, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

little fingers big top its a liability thing probably
Sure, but you can say that about the one touch power windows and one touch power moonroof I have in my C or worse, the one touch power doors on mini-vans.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 PM

'99 SLK230
Sure, but you can say that about the one touch power windows and one touch power moonroof I have in my C or worse, the one touch power doors on mini-vans.
oh yeah for sure but that doesn't mean they'd do it just because they can haha. I drove by a guy with an sl the other day right as he was going into his trunk he pushed a button in the trunk and the top popped up to make room for him to put something in (its been warm in virginia the last few days everone's had their top down) I wish we had that feature!
Old 11-12-2006, 02:28 AM

oh yeah for sure but that doesn't mean they'd do it just because they can haha. I drove by a guy with an sl the other day right as he was going into his trunk he pushed a button in the trunk and the top popped up to make room for him to put something in (its been warm in virginia the last few days everone's had their top down) I wish we had that feature!
I had a similar setup like that in my del Sol. Don't get me wrong, an SL and a del Sol are two different creatures. The del Sol had a separate hinged rail mount for the targa top inside the trunk. When you opened the trunk it looked similar to our SLKs, but it had the added hinged mount the top sat on so you could flip it up and have access to the trunk, like the SL...only manually and about $85,000 less.

So scbysnx...did you get a SimplRoof module yet?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:50 PM

'03 ML500 & '11 R350
This might be a dumb/inappropriate question, but I have a Crossfire Coupe and was wondering if their is a module that can operate the windows via remote?
I know my old C did it, where the windows go up if you press/hold lock and down when you press/hold unluck.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Probably, they are very similar. Does the Crossfire have a button that lights up when you activate the top and then the light shuts off when it's done? If so then it should work as it's just some relays. If you can pop the console off and look behind the switch, see if the wire colors are the same as DesignoSLK's instructions (if I remember it's brown for ground, pink/red for power, green/red for lamp power, white/violet and one more), then it's easy, if they are different you have to figure out which is ground, power, and lamp power, the other two don't matter as much as they are interchangeable. You can figure it out with a needle and meter.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:21 PM

'99 SLK 230
I'd be real surprised if Chrysler used the complicated vario roof controls on their ragtop. I'd be even more surprised if they used them on 04Fire's Coupe.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by DickB
I'd be real surprised if Chrysler used the complicated vario roof controls on their ragtop. I'd be even more surprised if they used them on 04Fire's Coupe.
Dick gotcha on that one Buellwinkle...lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK/R170: One Touch Top Operation