SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: autocross suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2006 | 09:36 PM

Question autocross suspension

Hi

Anyone here autocross their SLK and have some suspension improvement suggestions?

Anyone else have some suspension improvement suggestions?

I'm willing to sacrifice "ride quality" for better handling. I'm running Hoosier A6s (which rock!).

Thanks in advance.

For anyone who hasn't autocrossed their SLK ... go give it a try. I can't believe how much fun I'm having. A stock 6spd 320 works surprisingly well ... short wheelbase, perfect gearing (good torque low down in 2nd). I'm sure an auto tranny and/or 230 would work well too. Regardless of what you drive, its a ton of fun to push your car to 10/10s. Do a web search on "autocross for beginners" to find a ton of info or send me an email.

Mike
Old 10-14-2006 | 06:46 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
There are a number of things that you can do to "improve" the suspension, but why spend the money after only your first season? Let me suggest this:
Work with the car another year as it is, you have good tires with the Hoosier's, Play with your tire pressures a LITTLE, have a good gauge on hand and do not let the fronts exceed 40 psi, raise and drop the pressure ONE psi at a time, and see if you can feel a differance. You may need new tires by the end of this next season as I understand, good as they are, the Hoosier's wear fast. Try the Kumho 710's, they are supposed to be excellent tires as well, and they may suit your driving style better. The point is, work with what you have for a while, then you might want to go with Eibach springs and sway bars, new Sport shocks, and other things.
Hope that helps.....
Old 10-14-2006 | 06:53 PM

Thanks Bruce.

What can I say ... I wanna go fast :-)
(As in have lower times).