SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Going broke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Going broke

I've just spent a bunch of money for a variety of repairs on a 01 slk 320 with 65K miles. I'm now being told I need a drag link replacement, steering shock and a transmission electrical connector reseal. The car runs and handles good. Anyone exprience these problems and are they a must to get done now.. Thanks
Old 03-02-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Originally Posted by merc01
I've just spent a bunch of money for a variety of repairs on a 01 slk 320 with 65K miles. I'm now being told I need a drag link replacement, steering shock and a transmission electrical connector reseal. The car runs and handles good. Anyone exprience these problems and are they a must to get done now.. Thanks

That sounds like pretty normal repairs for that car. The drag links wear out over time, the steering shocks leak over time and the trans conduit (electrical connector) leaks over time. The steering shock and trans conduit would take maybe an hour if you don't have access to a lift and are doing it out in your garage. However the drag link assembly would be something that I wouldn't recommend for the amateur car mechanic because I would also recommend an alignment after replacing it.

As for your question about them being a "must get done now" repair, I'd have to say no. You may experience some tire wear issues unless you have just gotten a recent alignment performed, but the rest is just leaks and I wouldn't say it would need to be done unless you feel the transmission shifting strange (possibly low on fluid) or the steering becoming real jerky over bumpy roads. The car would drive alot better once these things were replaced though.