SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Cylinder Replacement For Vario Top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder Replacement For Vario Top

I just picked up a new, right-side actuation cylinder, which is located in the trunk. Has anyone done this before? I was wondering if the lines have to be replaced. The new unit comes with the lines attached, but the job looks a whole lot simpler to do if I could just re-use the old ones. From what I'm looking at, it kinds looks like they're permanently fitted.

Also, if there are any tips anyone would have for the replenishing of the fluid, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...=1#post2348589

Bazzle
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230 cylinder trouble

I read your post about replacing a cylinder for the top on your car. Have you had anybody offer advice? I am also having trouble with my top, but with me it's a cylinder not lifting the trunk lid high enough to lower the top. I put a post on asking if anybody had experienced this problem before but get no reply. It's like my post doesn't exist or something. I know I'm not the first one here to have this problem.
Are you confident that your cylinder is bad? I have spoken with a mechanic that suggested that a solinoid is ususaly the problem. He said that if a cylinder goes bad it's usually becuase a seal has broken, which causes the fluid to leak out. He said that if there's no leak, it's probably a control solinoid. I think that's the problem I'm having, a bad solinoid. The problem is that I don't know where to find the solinoids and which one controls with cylinder. Do you have any suggestions?
I've been quite dissapointed with this forum thus far, people won't share informaion like in most other car forums. In my opinion we are all here to help each other.
Good luck with your cylinder problems. If I make the repairs on mine before you get yours done, I'll gladly offer any assistance I can.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mate, please dont make comments like in your last post, it only turns those off who may be able to help. Some of us only come on here every week or so and not many would of worked on the hydraulics. It took me a few days to find this info for you
Hope the att pix help. Looks like valves are built into centre section between pump and motor.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...r-removal.html
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...lic-leaks.html

Bazzle
Attached Thumbnails Cylinder Replacement For Vario Top-hydraulicschematic.htm_txt_hydschem_main.gif   Cylinder Replacement For Vario Top-46325274.jpg   Cylinder Replacement For Vario Top-hydraulik1.jpg  

Last edited by bazzle; 05-18-2007 at 05:46 PM.