SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: New here. Should I buy an SLK?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dumokie
Jack,
I have owned my 98 SLK230 since it was new. I could go on ad naseum about. Pros and cons of vehicle.
I will just try to hit on your questions.

My top has never leaked, but I have heard of others leaking and they were easily repaired, don't know why your boss had so much trouble.

Yes, the seats are not of the best design, you can have lombar support added, or replace very easy.

There were a number of interior trims availible, If you don't like what you have they are here everywhere and easily changed. You can usually find and work out a swap deal in the mercedes forums.

I was gonna go with a 320 thinking It was a upgrade and yes they are more modern, very nice cars and of course newer. Mine was first year for SLK and I am familiar with its quirks. That is more a personal choice.

This car is a ladies car! My wife loves it and was part of reason I did not get newer one.

I have the Kompresor which is a 4 cyl. with a supercharger so, I get best of both worlds with great mileage and great performance when I need it. I get mid to high 20's in mileage. I would average it at 25-29 m.p.g.

Remember its a sports car so it has rough ride compared to a larger luxury vehicle, but that is a side effect of being glued to the road. I tried different springs and shocks which did not help. Car is just too light to ride like a larger car.

Its not good on snow and horrible on ice.

It will wear you out on long road trip. If I have a long road trip that I have to hurry some. I take my huge ford f-350, but for vacation type trips its absolutely the best! We cruise old roads here in the midwest like route 66, and its perfect for those trips.. No car better.

Its great for cruising on a saturday night with the top down and is still a head turner.

If I have an emergency, when its a few states away and have to be there really fast, its the car of choice. It will fly!!! She and I have relatives all through the midwest, so if a relative falls sick or something like that, I don't have to deal with the airport. I always beat the other relatives who are flying in on planes.

I don't deal with the dealership because I can't stand them, but thats another story. Forums like this one can answer any question or problem you might have.

Mine is daily driver with about 70k miles on it, never had a major problem. I have owned Mercedes all my life and lots of other cars. So if I had it to do over again, I would SLK again.

Good luck
Thanks so much dumokie.

We've pretty much decided on a 320. We went and drove one at Carmax last weekend and loved it. Glad to hear yours has been so reliable.

As for the ride, we generally go on long trips in my Corvette so in comparison, the SLK rides like a limo. Much quieter too. And since I live in Roswell, Georgia (a suburb of Atlanta), snow and ice isn't really much of a concern.

Sounds like we've got the right idea. All your feedback is REALLY appreciated!

Jack
Old 06-02-2007, 08:39 PM

98 slk230, 98 ml230, #8 #24 and #17 Nascar race cars for promotional events see my home page.
Have Fun

Jack,
Hope you guys enjoy your new vehicle. Post a picture here if you get the time.
Thanks for not buying a Crossfire, Even though Daimler a company I have purchased vehicles from, bought out Chrysler, it still pisses me off that Chrysler sold out to a foriegn concern given the fact that we (the taxpayers) bailed them out of bankruptcy years ago.. ( i guess nobody remembers)
Dr. Z can kiss my butt along with the Exec's at Chrysler who ran it into a unsalvageable corp.. Wheres Lee Iacoccapokka when ya need him??
Old 06-03-2007, 04:01 AM

2001 slk
Miata instead!

I'd check into the new Miata hardtop. All the joy of a convertible and security of the hardtop and much less hassle and long term investment. Much more comfortable and fun to drive, the Miata's top takes about 20 seconds to open or close. The SLK is a fine looker and gets you great cache but if hassle free driving is your priority, look elsewhere.
enjoy your choice!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by dumokie
Jack,
Hope you guys enjoy your new vehicle. Post a picture here if you get the time.
Thanks for not buying a Crossfire, Even though Daimler a company I have purchased vehicles from, bought out Chrysler, it still pisses me off that Chrysler sold out to a foriegn concern given the fact that we (the taxpayers) bailed them out of bankruptcy years ago.. ( i guess nobody remembers)
Dr. Z can kiss my butt along with the Exec's at Chrysler who ran it into a unsalvageable corp.. Wheres Lee Iacoccapokka when ya need him??
I agree that I'm unhappy that Chrysler sold out to MB, but better that than going the way American Motors did. At some point they may become an American company again.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by budnball
I'd check into the new Miata hardtop. All the joy of a convertible and security of the hardtop and much less hassle and long term investment. Much more comfortable and fun to drive, the Miata's top takes about 20 seconds to open or close. The SLK is a fine looker and gets you great cache but if hassle free driving is your priority, look elsewhere.
enjoy your choice!
LOL! It's funny but a Miata is why we ended up looking at the SLK. We were ready to buy one but for the next few years, my wife will need it on occasion until we retire and she can't drive a manual transmission...and I'm not buying an automatic Miata. The SLK is a good compromise. While the Miata is a sports car, the SLK is a mini-Benz with sporting pretensions. Nobody thinks twice about an automatic SLK but you can't give away an automatic Miata.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:09 PM

2001 SLK 320
I have a 2001 SLK 320 and wouldn't think of trading down my 6 speed. I love the sound of the car and the style. I only had the roof leak once in a bad storm. The other times I have been in rain I have had no issues. I will say you have to watch your speed if you are not used to a v6. I was used to driving a crapy camry and I can get in some serious trouble. The car goes from 60-80 with just a slight change in pressure of the foot, its a great feeling and I love it...just watch for blue lights. Plus its a Mercedes...nuf' said
Attached Thumbnails New here.  Should I buy an SLK?-slk-001.jpg  
Old 06-08-2007, 05:51 PM

2001 SLK 320
So. Did you buy something yet? Enquiring minds want to know
Old 06-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Almost a Member!

slk32 Renntech
A slightly used SLK32 can be had for incredibly low price now. Mine is 2002. I have changed a battery and 4 tires. That's yet. The car doesn't have the MFS and other stuff as the 230 and 320. The RE050A pole position tires I put on made it better than new. Excellent vehicle. Beautiful car.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Originally Posted by DynamicS
no you cant, but you could also look at the Lexus SC430 roadster, its probably a better car, even though it's a tad faggish.
To this guy: you must be an idiot.. first suggesting a crossfire when the guy said he specifically wanted a retractable top - bleh and secondly suggesting a lexus or a glorified toyota!!!! ignorance is bliss
Old 07-24-2007, 10:42 PM

In search of W222
SLK320amg, He sorted it perfectly and i agree with him, if you have the money to devote towards a more luxurious and Powerful Merc. The 320amg is the best of all Roadsters that i've driven within your price range.
~Adam
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 AM

'99 SLK230
Originally Posted by slk320amg
So my say is that if you are looking for a sporty car with a supercharger, whiny exhaust, and that is cheaper then go for the 230. If you want a car that sounds great and looks great both in and out as well as being more of a daily cruiser go for the 320.

Originally Posted by l3iGD
To this guy: you must be an idiot.. first suggesting a crossfire when the guy said he specifically wanted a retractable top - bleh and secondly suggesting a lexus or a glorified toyota!!!! ignorance is bliss
Ok aside from being a jerk you're also the idiot. Have you ever DRIVEN a lexus??
Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM

2001 slk320
my wife has been the primary driver of our 2001 slk320 since we first bought it new, seven years ago and she has thoroughly enjoyed the experience. we live in san diego and it doesn't rain much, but ours has never leaked. and except for the taillight assembly issue, which was successfully resolved via the factory recall, we have not had a single problem - electrical or otherwise - with this car.

if i were you, i would spend a little extra and opt for a 320 over a 230. for one thing, the 320 seats are much more comfortable than those initially offered in the 230 - in fact - we decided not to purchase a '99 230 primarily because we did not find the seats acceptable. but about a year later, we learned that the 320 was in production and found its seats greatly improved over the 230 model we had previously tested. choosing the six-cylinder model also gives you several other desirable enhancements as well.

and, in my opinion, if you don't mind shifting, get one with the manual transmission because it greatly enhances the driving experience by compelling more driver interaction/involvement with the operation of the vehicle.

Last edited by choerr; 09-10-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 PM

1999 Slk 230
Sounds like Dumokie and I are on the same page or at least on the same chapter. I never take a car to the dealer since I am a better wrench than most of the Tech school kids could ever be (sorry Kid)but you are not stripping nuts on this one.
Anyway I fix my own, and if I wanted a soft ride I would have a four door with a hard top and room for grandma in the back. I do not want power except where needed under the hood and the tunes and yes AC. I see the Slk 230 mine is a 1999 as a "Sports Car" and I want to feel the rocks in the road and the rumble of rough pavment. I have learned to feel the road and kind of trust this feeling to judge traction. I love sports cars and this one is new to me but once we are alone togather I will make it do what I want and it will do its thing to me and we will meet in the middle. Sports Cars are not a friggin Lexus