SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Coolant light. Coolant splashed all over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK
Exclamation Coolant light. Coolant splashed all over-SOMEONE PLEASE REPLY!!!

I just bought a 1998 SLK with 59k miles. 3 days ago, the low coolant light came on, although the coolant reservoir appeared to be full, I topped it off. The light went off till today.
As I drove down the highway, for about an hour, it was fine. Then the light came on. I had previously noticed a "chalky" splash all over the engine when the light had first come on and I thought it was due the car wash I took it to. I had cleaned it before the drive today.
When I opened the hood to see the coolant level, the splash was there again. It is chalky/whitish in color and splashed all over the place towards the center and the right side of the main red part that says KOMPRESSOR.
On further noticing, I saw steamy water/air flowing from the hose that connects the reservoir to the engine... however, it was too minute to have caused that splash...
I am upset, because I have not even gotten the car registered yet. The car is clean history, well maintained otherwise, had only 2 owners...
Please help!! I dont want to take it to the stealership and get ripped off ...

Also, when I turn the car off, and restart, the light won't come on till about 10 minutes into driving. Also, note that the temperature does not rise above 100 even in stop and go traffic. It stays between 80 and 100 on the gauge.

The temperature has not gone to 100 all through the driving ...

Update: The fan does turn on , thus the temp does not go over 100 even if the car is parked and running . The coolant level has gone low. I am adding pictures of the "splash" that is all over the place, which I am pretty sure is the coolant. I turned the car on , re-topped the coolant and sat and watched, but saw no signs of leak ..

this is not a good sunday!! Someone help!!!!

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Coolant light. Coolant splashed all over-coolant1.jpg   Coolant light. Coolant splashed all over-coolant2.jpg  

Last edited by kambakht; 05-20-2007 at 02:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-20-2007, 03:18 PM

SLK
Replace the radiator cap.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:27 PM

SLK
there is no splashing or signs of leakage anywhere close to the actual radiator cap .... the splash marks are all "chalky" in nature (not fresh green coolant) and they are in the middle of the engine ...
would replacing the radiator cap be worth it ?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:16 PM

SLK
In your picture there is fluid directly under the cap on the tank.

Try it it is a cheap part.

The only other way is to do a pressure test. Any repair shop can do that for you. They have a cap with a pump and gauge attached to it.

"I saw steamy water/air flowing from the hose that connects the reservoir to the engine... however, it was too minute to have caused that splash..."

Fix or replace that hose. Under pressure the hole is much bigger than what you saw when it was empty.

Tighten all the clamps.

Last edited by Squishy; 05-20-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:58 PM

SLK
thanks squishy... i put the disclaimer on the picture itself that the fluid right under the radiator cap was because of me being sloppy when topping off the coolant, it was not there when I opened the hood to check the car after the Low Coolant light came on ....

I think the picture I posted is too small, so you couldnt read that .. sorry about that. I tightened that clamp, there is no visible steam etc anymore ... but the coolant level is still dropping... not fast, but dropping and the light comes on especially when I drive for more than 20-30 minutes....

I will have it checked out tomorrow... I put all my life savings in buying this thing and it was meticulously maintained... dont think i can afford to spend anything to repair this .. its not even registered yet ...

anyone else, any other help would be appreciated!!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM

SLK
Went to a repair shop and he did a pressure check .. found nothing.
this is still a mystery ... the mechanic told me to leave the car with him for a day on thursday... the stealership said they will take $180 just to look at the car ....

any suggestions/ideas on this mysterious coolant leak .... ive checked all hoses, thermostat seal looks good ..... it hasnt splashed again, but I know it will when i drive for more than an hour or so ...

is it worth replacing all hoses and the thermostat, just for starters??
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some hoses dont leak until they get real hot and high pressure. Also the pipe going into the expansion bottle leaks on some and need to be glued in or tank replaced.

Bazzle
Old 05-24-2007, 01:51 PM

SLK
thanks ... not sure by what you mean by the "expansion bottle". can you please explain a little more
Thanks for your help!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kambakht
thanks ... not sure by what you mean by the "expansion bottle". can you please explain a little more
Thanks for your help!
The bottle with the rad cap

Bazzle