SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: A moment of silence for my 2003 SLK320 please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 SLK350 Ird/Blk; 2006 HD Road King
Unhappy A moment of silence for my 2003 SLK320 please...

There we were heading to Los Angeles for a family gathering. A little overcast, but otherwise a nice Father's day 6/17/07. The top was up and we were southbound in the left lane on the 101 nearing the Victoria exit close to the city of Oxnard.

When all of a sudden something slammed into our right side. It was the loudest noise I've experienced in a LONG time. It was a Toyota van. It pushed us up against the concrete divider for what seemed like several minutes. When it got off of us I was able to keep it headed straight until we came to a stop. Luckily no one was barrelling down on us from behind. The motor was still running and I was able to limp off towards the exit. I was ok, my girlfriend had smacked her head against the window and had a nice bump and a headache. But otherwise we were both ok.

It turns out that the van was struck by a hit and run driver on her right side and she plowed into me. Two witnesses stopped and one provided a license plate number of the hit and run vehicle. CHP had to push me off the 101 and a flatbed tow truck took us back to Santa Barbara. The accident happened about 1125am and we were home by 130pm. In fact as I looked over the damage to our vehicles, we noticed that my right rear tire and left tire marks half way up the left side of the van.

The insurance adjuster called me last Thursday (my birthday) to tell me my car was a total loss.

CHP has yet to do anything about investigating the hit and run driver. My insurance company (MetLife) says that in Ca, the financially responsible driver is the hit and run driver. Unless that creep is found I'm out my deductible. Yes, it's a small price to pay for our safety I agree but it's the principle.

I do believe after reliving our accident that my SLK saved our skins. I was surprised that none of the airbags deployed. I think I can come to grips with the front airbags not going off. But I'm having a hard time about the side airbags. Any insight from anyone would be appreciated.

Here are a couple of before and sadly after pictures. The pictures do not do just to the suffering my SLK endured. All four wheels were bent and I had to almost kick my driver's door open to get out. The body is tweaked all around too.

My insurance company wants to settle at $30,885 total. After searching KBB for my car (I had 28K miles, heated seats, cd changer and it really was in excellent condition) I think I should get closer to $35K. We'll see how that plays out. I've been searching autotrader.com (where I bought this car) and found some 2004 SLK320s and am looking at the SLK350 too. What is the difference between a 2004 SLK special edition and a regular SLK320?

If anyone has moved from an SLK320 to an SLK350, I'd love to hear your insights as to the pros and cons.

Sal
Attached Thumbnails A moment of silence for my 2003 SLK320 please...-slk320-left-frnt-new.jpg   A moment of silence for my 2003 SLK320 please...-slk320-left-frnt-now.jpg   A moment of silence for my 2003 SLK320 please...-slk320-right-side.jpg  
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Loi

SLK230
So sorry about that!!...

Glad you and your girlfriend are alright... you never know when something like this is gonna happen much less how bad it'll be. Your girlfriend was really lucky because the van got hit first and bounced into you. I've heard so much about how well the SLK holds up in a crash! Good luck with insurance collection.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:05 AM

2001 SLK320 Special Edition, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
when you got hit were you applying the brakes?
most of these new air bag systems only deploy in a strong impact with the brakes applyed.
case and point my sister had a 2002 toyota corolla type s, not a bad looking car. but she was traveling on the freeway over tired and fell asleep behind the wheel no one was on the freeway and she was not badly hurt (real surprised) the car hit the guard rails and ending up rolled over.all panels where smashed all glass was broken and roof was collapsed partially.
but because brakes were not applyed no air bag was deployed.
weird but that's what the toyota service manager told me.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 AM

2004 SL500
The side airbags are for side impacts - forces perpendicular to your car. Like when you get T-boned at an intersection. I don't think there was enough side force.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:07 AM

SLK230
Glad to hear you both are OK.
I was told after my accident that hte side impact airbag senser is on the front fender between the front wheel and the door panel. Since I got t-boned in front of the front wheel, mone never went off. How accurate this is, I don't know.

Good luck with the aftermath on this.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SLKBOB
The side airbags are for side impacts - forces perpendicular to your car. Like when you get T-boned at an intersection. I don't think there was enough side force.

Agree strongly.
Where I work we make systems to mimic airbag fire or not fire.
The brake pedal thing is nonsense.
It can take a very hard hit to set front bags off. Generally a dead stop over about 28kph.(but not always just that in the equation/algorithm)
Other safety features help below that even though you may get injured.

Bazzle

Last edited by bazzle; 06-26-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Almost a Member!

I am glad you guys are okay, PPl that do Hit and Run... I hope they end up death in a car crash themselves. People these days have no honor, integrity or self respect. I think the brake pedal theory was not correct either, more of how much impact you received to activate the air bags.