SLK/R170: Help Needed, Squeaky Clutch - Throwout Bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
Help Needed, Squeaky Clutch - Throwout Bearing

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their SLK 6 Speed manual assembly.

History: At around 38,000 Miles, my first transmission because stuck in reverse and needed replacement. At that time I had the clutch replaced. The 1st factory rebuild installed was loose feeling, had a noisy input shaft, and had a squeaky throw-out bearing. My mechanic warranty replaced the new transmission along with the throw-out bearing (they arrive attached together from the dealer). The second factory rebuilt transmission seems better, it is tighter feeling and the grinding noise from the input shaft was gone. However, the squeak from the throw-out bearing remains.

Now: My mechanic has had the thing in and out a couple times, and declares the issue unsolvable. The car now has a very audible squeak and squeal when idling at a stop, which comes and goes depending on how much pressure you put on the clutch pedal. All the parts came from Mercedes.

With the clutch pedal all the way out, it squeaks. With the clutch pressed 1", it is quiet. With the clutch fully depressed, it squeaks again. It squeaks both in gear and out of gear. The sound is loud.

Does anyone have a similar experience which they were able to resolve? My mechanic is resisting putting anymore time into it since the 1st set of warranty replacement parts from Mercedes also squeak. Is there anything besides a squeaky throw-out bearing that would cause this?

Regards.