SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Looking to purchase 2004 SLK230 - need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benzo
Looking to purchase 2004 SLK230 - need help

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster - and sorry in advance for the long post!

I've been looking at purchasing a new car, and finally decided a prev gen. SLK would fit the bill.

Unfortunately, where I am (Alberta) used SLK's are pretty $$ vs British Columbia, so i've been looking there.

So far i've found a 2004 SLK230 (51,000 km's & auto), still has a bit of factory warranty left & thus carries star-certified extended warranty (which covers engine & transmission issues for 2 yrs up to 120,000 kms)

Since i'm not in Vancouver, I had someone test it out and check out the records for me and I have a few questions:

1) Is the 230 engine SIGNIFICANTLY different the the 320 engine in driving feel? I've driven a SLK320 (auto) on numerous occasions, but i've only driven a C230 (with the 1.8L engine) once or twice. My friends noted that acceleration was pretty "dismal" in the 230, but I'm trying to gauge if that's just because they are not use to the supercharged engine.

2) Pouring over the service records, my friend mentioned that it got the usual servicing done:
-Service A
-Service B (@ 34,000kms)

But then mentioned some of the work which has been done to the car:
-oil leak ($300 fix)
-spark plug/ cylinder timing repair ($1,200)
-valve solenoid replaced
-transmission work done (no specifics on what)
-Cylinder worked on
-electrical work performed

Sorry some of the repairs/issues aren't more 'descriptive,' but this is literally just from an e-mail from my friend. If anyone has any guesses or can possibly clarify that would be great.

So my question is, should I just stay away from this car? My friends opinion is that the car was either driven hard, or will cost allot in the long run - which doesn't surprise me (I drive a older BMW, so German cars & repair costs don't shock me perse) but I'd like something that won't be a total headache. I'm just wondering because the people I know with SLK's haven't really mentioned any of those listed problems, just the typical (BAS light coming on intermittently, coolant light coming on, tailight failure, xenon failure, catalytic converter failure), and while searching the SLK forum for reliability issues, seems that people are pretty 'hit or miss' in terms of reliability of their SLK's.

Again, sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!