SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Car Won't do anything

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SLK320
Car Won't do anything

Okay so I'm new to the benz world. I bought my 01 slk 320 in January and have had no problems until now. Drove the car on Sunday, about a 40 mi. round trip and it has sat in my driveway until now. On tuesday I tried to start it, but I have no power anywhere. No lights on dish, key doesn't work and so on. The key turns, but nothing from the engine. I know there a lot of ridiculous things to do like turn the key 5 times and such, but I'm totally lost here. The battery is supposed to be new and looks like it is in great shape. I did have my husband take out the pse and clean. I really didn't look very corroded. I don't really know very much about cars and especially not mercedes, so any help would be nice.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
I would check the battery for voltage and not go by how it looks. It could have an open circuit inside without any indication on the outside. Use a volt meter to check the battery or take the battery out and bring it to your favorite auto parts store to have it tested. You could also call the toll free Mercedes road side assistance number and they can bring a new battery out to you. The auto parts store can also do a load test on the battery as well as charge it up to see if it holds a charge. Another thing you can do is see if a friend has AAA (Tripple A auto coverage) or you might want to get it for yourself. AAA will send a tow truck out to jump start your car as well as replace the battery if needed. If a friend has AAA, they can call for you and have it done under their coverage. They just have to say they are stuck at your house and you are their ride home and with you when the fault happened.

Last edited by E-Klasse; 04-03-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SLK320
The date dot on the battery was new, so, we tested the battery and it was DEAD, 0 charge. So we put it on a trickle and checked in about an hour and it said it was fully charged. So we tried the lights and such and they work, but it wouldn't turn on so we charged the battery awhile longer and it was totally drained, so we must have something pulling the power from the battery. Any suggestions on what could be draining it?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Sounds like to me that the battery is not holding a charge. The load test that the auto parts store would do is the same test that you just did. It puts a charge in the battery and then loads it down to see if the battery is bad. If it is a new battery and a Genuine Mercedes battery, then they should pro-rate the cost of a new one or give you one to replace that one.