SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Help on roadster choice ....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help on roadster choice ....

Hi All - I'm currently deciding which 'main car' to purchase - on the list for an RS6 and W211 E55 when they become available, and in the meantime, I thought I might get a nice commuter car, and a roadster is the perfect one if you are by yourself. I'm considering a loaded tip Boxster S at this time (used) and also high on the list is the SLK320.

I keep flipping among the roadsters - Z3 (yucky design, and apparently just a little car on steroids), S2000 (I'm too tall for it, and talk about steroids - this car does nothing until you hit 6,000 rpm), TT (too much of a tourer, not enough roadster, or at least not as much as the rest of the gang), SLK 320 (not sure if this isn't the best choice yet) and Boxster. I'd LOVE to get a stick shift on the Boxster (or any of them), but with the freeways as they are in Southern CA, I will spend most of my time wearing out the clutch and working on my quads. It's almost a screaming shame to get a roadster with a tip, but then again, they make Carerras with tip also, so it can't be that bad, right?

The goal for this car is to give me the time to decide what to get later, when the new 5-series comes out, the RS6 is finally available, and the E55 has been around for a while. I'll have time to decide properly, and not base my decision on how fast I can get the car (E55 would take top honors right now). The wife and I will take turns with the roadster, and whomever has the baby gets the Avant, whomever doesn't, gets the roadster. After I get my 'real car', it becomes a fun driver, weekends, dates (when we have a babysitter (Mom)) and such and such, so that's when a stick would be the best choice, however, for up to a year, it will be the 2nd, not 3rd car, so the stick will be annoying on the roads of Southern California...any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2002, 06:44 PM

2008 M6 Vert
Well you also have the Z4 to consider. I am not really a big fan of the new BMWs but the fully loaded Porsche S does sound like a good comparative to the 320 or maybe even the SLK32

I would choose the 'S' if you like doing stuff to the car. The boxsters have many 'hacks' and there is a lot of options to be had on the car.

The 320 would have the benefit of a hardtop convertible. The auto transmission on a MB is great and shifts better than the average person on a 5 or 6 speed. So it would be a more practical car if you are considering traffic.

Bottom line, I think the cars are pretty close in comparison. Choose what tickles your fancy the most.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
I was looking at a used Boxer or SLK, the hard top on the SLK sold me on it plus I was able to find a low milage 1999, I wanted a manual but my gf doesn't drive stick and she doesn't really want to learn, plus you get alot of attention putting the top away on the SLK.

NP
Old 12-24-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M4, R350 (W251), C230(W204)
Boxster (S or regular) is a DRIVER's car. If driving is what you enjoy, and assuming you don't already own a sports car, that should be your choice.
SLK drives like a sedan although as many had mentioned already, the hard top is a real eye catcher. Overall, the drive is WAY TOO forgiving to be classified as a real sports car.

Don't put down so much on the Z3 unless you've driven one for a prolonged period of time! 5 mins test drive proves nothing!
On the market, that is probably the closest match in terms of driving pleasure with a Porsche.

I bought my SLK because I'm waiting for the next M Roadster (Z4 body! Yuck!) and need a summer car for the time being.

RS6? For that price, you've gotta be really nut to buy an Audi!

Just my 2 cents worth!

BrianC
2000 BMW M5
2000 Audi S4
2002 MB SLK32

Previously owned and worth mentioning
2000 MB ML55 (*sigh* this is such a disappointment that it's not really worth mentioning)
2000 Porsche Boxster
1998 BMW M Roadster
1993 BMW M5
Old 12-25-2002, 05:19 PM

98 Blazer ZR2
Remember a slk can always play the role of a convertible and a coupe.. other convertibles always have the softtop and hence lower feeling of security when u leave it parked somewhere.

The slk -- most people never even know is a convertible when parked.

jim
Old 12-29-2002, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am kinda late on this, but I was in your exact situation last month, same car choices and everything Here are my opinions!! The Z3 looked cheapy to me inside and was too small even for me (5'2") and has kind of akward looking exterior , the interior of the TT was hideous (IMO ) and the exterior os nothing to write home about, the S2000 is well, a Honda, with the Boxster, EVERYTHING was an option. My 2003 SLK230 fully loaded was about $49k, the 2003 Boxster fully loaded was a whopping $61k!!! AND when I found out the 230 was actually faster than the Boxster, my decision was made I know your talking about the SLK320 the Boxster S, but I'm sure the ratio of the price difference is relatively the same. And all Porsche gives is a basic warranty, no Teleaid, no free maintenance (which can add up to many, many thousands of dollars) or any of the other goodies Mercedes throws in. As far as stick being a pain in the ***, I'm not in Southern California, but I AM on Long Island about 20 mins from NYC, and let me tell you, I personally would not even dream of driving a manual car everyday! lol But if its just your fun driver and not your "going to the supermarket" car then go for it Im sure that now I've managed to sound like an idiot so....I'm going