SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Remote top up/down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 320
Remote top up/down

It’s my understanding that a SLK can be reprogrammed with European standards; this will control the top remotely – along with other features. Does anyone know about this reprogramming? Any advice?

Thanks,

Paul
(SLK320)
Old 12-24-2002, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I was not aware that the European SLKs had the remote top up/down feature. Do you know of some place on the net where that is documented?

I have actually been working on an add-on unit (that speaks to the various MB microcontrollers) that will allow you to raise/lower the top with the factory key fob (press "unlock" three times in a row and the top goes down; press "lock" three stops and it goes up; press any button while the top is in motion and everything stops).

But if it can be done with firmware, why work so hard? Everything on this car seems to be programmable, so it would not surprise me if it could be done via this route.

I would also be very interested if anyone knows more about this.

- Scott
Old 12-24-2002, 09:14 AM

SLK 320
rewrite of the firmware

I have yet to find the documentation online. It’s my understanding it is a rewrite of the firmware. And yes, it is a few clicks of the factory key fob. Other “tricks” are also gained by this rewrite also.

A friend of mine mentioned the local service techs (at the dealership) would know how to clear/reprogram the firmware. I’ll keep searching.

Paul
Old 12-24-2002, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M4, R350 (W251), C230(W204)
Please please please let me know about it if you have further information!

I was posting a similar question a while ago on this forum but noone answered

This "technology/convenience" is NOTHING new. Since 993 (the previous generation of 911), European Porsches' already had this option and Porsche had NOT been known for it's luxury!
Old 01-02-2003, 03:42 PM

SLK 320
Sorry to say

I regret to report that there is NO remote up/down reprogram option on SLK's.

I've found that it is only a possibility on the SL line.

Sorry
Old 01-02-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Re: Sorry to say

Originally posted by Paul_170
I regret to report that there is NO remote up/down reprogram option on SLK's.

I've found that it is only a possibility on the SL line.

Sorry
That's correct. The only remote roof option for the SLK is via the aftermarket. I've seen posts from two people that had them. One guy in the U.K. paid alot of money for it, and the other owned a mobile electronics shop and had it custom made.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M4, R350 (W251), C230(W204)
Not trying to say I disbelieve you or anything, but I am wondering where Paul_170 and Brian_R170 got their information?

From word of mouth around dealers in USA or from ACTUAL European friends who owns SLK R170 in Europe and had told you such option is not available?

Because I was once told that it is NOT possible to install the folding mirror options onto SLK and later found out that it IN FACT is possible (although you need to run fiber optical wires in the car to hook that mechanism up making it financially infeasible, but I HAVE the parts number for ALL that's needed to do so) so dealers in North America are full of sh*t!

I've looked at the Asian market of SLK and KNOW for a fact that this is NOT an available option in Asia (actually, I can only speak for HongKong, Taiwan and China). But I don't know any friends in Europe who owns SLK to confirm the inavailability.

Any mid to high profile aftermarket alarm systems will do the trick for you and it cost roughly $500US to buy the alarm system and have it installed (my friend has done it, it's a Clifford alarm, yuck!), so price-wise it's not outrageous (or at least not anymore). However, it's a drag that you have to carry a key AND an alarm remote from that day on.

best regards,
BrianC
'02 SLK 32
'00 BMW M5
'00 Audi S4
Old 01-04-2003, 05:23 PM

'99 SLK 230
If the dealer can't program this, then I think that Floobydust has the right idea. An add-on box would be inexpensive and allow use of the factory remote.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:25 PM

2002 SLK 320
Re: Re: Sorry to say

Originally posted by Brian_R170
That's correct. The only remote roof option for the SLK is via the aftermarket. I've seen posts from two people that had them. One guy in the U.K. paid alot of money for it, and the other owned a mobile electronics shop and had it custom made.
Yeah, I saw a site by a fella in Denmark who had managed to get hold of something. Honestly, though, I don't think it would be such a difficult thing to build anyway. I'd like to tie it to a precipitation sensor for those unexpected rainstorms when the car is parked outside of the office.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by BrianC
Not trying to say I disbelieve you or anything, but I am wondering where Paul_170 and Brian_R170 got their information?

From word of mouth around dealers in USA or from ACTUAL European friends who owns SLK R170 in Europe and had told you such option is not available?
A remote roof is not available as a Mercedes-Benz factory option on the SLK in any market in the world.

I know exactly what's available in Europe because I've translated the factory option list and the accessory list several times. There is not and has never been a remote roof option so there is no programming available and there are no Mercedes-Benz parts to accomplish the task.

Here is a link to the German price list that lists available options.
http://www.mercedes-benz.de/mbd/pdf/Slk0100.pdf

There are only a few options that we can't get in the USA, they are:
- interior motion sensor security
- fire extinguisher mounted to the front of the driver's seat.
- several designo exterior/interior colors and leather and wood trim
- in-dash CD players
- navigation system (text-based, uses radio display)
- CD or Cassette holder in the center console
- several phone and phone-prep options
- mount points for the roof carrier system
Old 01-10-2003, 11:37 PM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
i am having my done this weekend. But not with the factory key, as far as i know, i need to add another brain to the car and some programing or whatever, and i would need to attach a aftermarket style alarm switch to my key...

Don't know how they will do it, but after seeing you guys talked about it, i talked to my stereo shop and they said they've done it before on other SLk's, so I am gonna have them do mine this weekend.

Will let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:27 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK230, MX6 LS
Not that I've researched this much (or even owned the car for more than a week ), but isn't the roof button just a regular old switch? Couldn't you just hook up something like an autoloc remote and a simple relay in parallel to the switch to control the roof? Of course you'd have a second remote, and there wouldn't be a one touch option, but it seems like a $150, splice two wires kinda job
Old 01-11-2003, 09:09 AM

'99 SLK 230
You also need a relay or two to supply power to the hydraulic and other systems. You may also want or need some additional circuitry so that you don't have to hold the button on your remote while the top cycles.

Here's my solution that I am working on:
http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/SLK/remote/index.htm
Old 01-11-2003, 12:39 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK230, MX6 LS
hmm... Like I said, I haven't taken the switch appart to see whats actually under there, but after looking at your schematic, wouldn't something like this work?....

I haven't designed a circuit since grade 10, and I'm pretty sure I failed that course , so ignore the actual connections. I'm 90% sure they're wrong, but the point should definately come across...

Sure its nowhere as elegant as your idea, but it'll let you stand infront of your 'K', hold a button down and watch the magic happen. No one touch or anything, but the ecu would handle any errors just as if you were holding the switch inside the car. No?

Whaddaya think?

I guess the only thing would be if someone is foolish enough to hold the remote in the 'up' position and hold the inside button in the 'down' position... But that could be rectified easily... with a smack on the back of the persons hand!

Last edited by drpepper; 01-11-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:23 PM

'99 SLK 230
You're on the right track. But, you've got the relays that you added wired backwards - the coils need to be driven from the 'autoloc' signal and the contacts wired in parallel with the top up/down switches. Also, you need to connect and remotely energize the two relays that I added in order to power the hydraulics. That, or you have to leave your key in the car turned to position 2 . Plus, of course, you need to connect a remote receiver to the 'autoloc' lines.

My microcontroller eliminates the need for an add-on receiver, and performs the saftey checking that will avoid the slaps to the back of the head. Aside from building and programming the microcontroller, I think it is the simplest and most elegant solution short of reprogramming the CCM.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:08 PM

WOW

Well.. i think i'll just wait for the finished, fully tested product to come out in the market, and just "buy" it.

Not that i understand what they're talking about .. and i don't intend to do so.. :p .. but it definitely sounds cool. Keep up the good thoughts guys!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK230, MX6 LS
lol. so wait, everything inside the red box is part of your design?! I didn't even know. So, um ya. How will your system work with the remote? Would you tap one of the buttons a couple of times? What would be cool is a window tapper that opened the roof
Old 01-14-2003, 10:31 AM

MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
Anything can be installed...what about safety

What about a lightweight mobile rocket launcher?Probably we have to install one here in our cars after you bomb Iraq..

In my opinion remote control for the roof is not safe...imagine a small kid around the car...you can stop it but also can be too late..
Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK230, MX6 LS
hmm... Has anyone tried splicing a motion sensor into the factory alarm? That would be a nice feature for parking the car with the top down. I think I read something about it on mz3.net or some similar site
Old 04-16-2003, 10:28 AM

SLK 200 (06/99)
Unhappy Problems with hard top on SLK 200 (06/99)

Has anyone experienced problem with the SLK hard top not opening randomly?
The trunk would open but the top will not release. This problem comes and goes. Wanted to hear from this group before taking it to the dealer for FA (failure analysis).

The symptom is the trunk opens but the top itself doesn't move. It can happen either when opening or closing the roof and the problem is intermittent.

I had read, something about to change a microswitchs ( S/68 and S/69).

Are those codes standars for Mercedes?
Do you think that in Mercedes Spain, knows those codes?

I´m collecting all information, and the next week i´ll go to the official Mercedes Benz to try to solve this problem (a very big problemm!!!)

Thanks from Spain.

acamachobadajoz@eresmas.com
Old 04-17-2003, 04:40 AM

S60R, ML320, W211/E350
acamachobadajoz,

Do a search for this and you will find lots of info on it. Most likely you have failed micro switches, there are 11 of them, I think, and any 1 of them failing will result in your problem.

Any authorized MB dealer can fix it for you, I just hope you still have warranty, if not, it will get pricey...
Old 04-20-2003, 02:15 AM

the Vario Roof Commander at Bipes seems very expensive at USD300. Are there any other options?? USD150 should be the ideal price.
BrianC, can you give us the part numbers for the folding side mirrors?