Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 320
HELP! ABS/ASB/ESP warning lights on and top problem

Hi everyone,

Full Problem Explained:

Just yesterday, I noticed that my ABS/BAS and ESP warning lights were lit up on my instrument cluster. I also noticed that once the car was parked and I wanted to put my top up, the switch to put the top up would flash red and the top would not go up as normal. I checked all the things that would make it flash normally like the shade in the trunk not being in place or the trunk open, etc, and everything was as it should be, so I am guessing that all of these things are somehow related.

I did however notice that once I turn the car off, then turn the key to the point right before your crank the car (when ALL lights are lit up on the instrument cluster) I was able to put the top up as normal. Today I was testing things out and when I first got into the car, I was able to put my top up and down as normal with the car running (before driving anywhere) but after having driven for 5 minutes, I was back to turning the car off and then the key to the point right before your crank the car (when ALL lights are lit up on the instrument cluster) before I was able to put the top up as normal

Before I go nuts and make my first visit to my local MB dealership, is there any easy quick fix techniques I should look into or anything I should check (ex. fuses, etc) to see if its something silly that is causing the problem (and to avoid paying an arm and half a leg at the MB dealership for something silly).

P.S. -- yes, I have done a few quick searches, and I have tried turning the steering wheel all the way the right then left when the car is on to "reset" things -- unless I was doing something wrong, that did not work -- also in my searches, I have not seen anyone with the top up problem I seem to have, so maybe that problem will clue someone into what is going on?

Cliff Notes Version:

ABS/BAS and ESP warning lights are lit up on instrument cluster
top does not go up when car is running, have to turn car off and then turn key to the point before the engine cranks (when all lights are lit up on instrument cluster) -- top will go up then. What is wrong and how do I fix?

Thank you to anyone who can help or shed some light on this topic. Sorry for the long post!

||SLK320||

Last edited by ||SLK320||; 09-15-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 PM

'98 SLK230, '84 VF1100S
Replace brake light switch.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 PM

2001 SLK 230
Question

I know this has been dead for a while but I have the EXACT same problem! Did this get you fixed? I tried removing the sensor and cleaning it up (looked fine, still pushed in and out smoothly) but that didn't help at all...
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 AM

86 Ferrari Testarossa, 02 BMW 745i
wow...it would be nice to get an answer for this one? I wonder if "SLK320" got it fixed? Would be nice to close this one with a fix, huh?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM

2001 SLK 230
well, i wish i could tell you WHAT fixed it but i cant...it just randomly fixed itself. Was giving a buddy a ride (he is a BIG guy, about 300+) and the first time i hit a stop light, it fixed itself...dont know if it was due to more weight causing more brake work which may have freed up some debris or what lol. BUT, its back to normal!
Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM

2001 SLK 230
and btw, "SLK230" sent me a PM explaining what his fix was. It turned out to be the MAF sensor...
Old 08-08-2009, 05:25 PM

99' SLK230
i had the same problem with those lights coming on. and all i did to clear them was simply to activate the ABS itself. rev it up and hit the brake hard. it will go off and has not recurr to date.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM

2003 slk 230
I have the same problem. My local mechanic said I desperately needed brakes and replaced same on all 4 wheels. It didn't turn the lights off. The owners manual says that a weak battery can turn on these lights and advises to check battery and alternator. He checked mine and said the alternator is good, 14 volts, but battery is weak at 10-11 volts and needs replaced. He thinks that will turn off the lights.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:21 AM

c 202
Hi from italy!
Got the same problem,BAS/ESP lights on, so the car won't work, since the automatic gears will only go to the speed they have in memory,
A nightmare,and even more, noone has a clue wher eto look for .
They said change the brake switch, which I did, but nothing changed.
Replaced the "rotation speed sensor(E BAy) but nothing changed, anyone of you all has any advise 8Do not want to spend a fortune for such an !old" car now.
Million thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 04:04 PM

2003 slk 230
It worked! I had the BAS/ESP light on as well as the ABS. I put new brake pads on but the lights remained on. We read in the owner's manual that a weak battery, at or below 10 volts, would turn on the lights. My mechanic checked my battery and alternator. The alternator was fine but the battery was weak at only 10 volts.

I replaced the battery and the lights all went off and have stayed off! Hope this helps with your problems.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM

slk230
I have a 2000 slk230 that had abs bas and brake and check engine. code P0500, speed sensor. Also, the top would not retract. Found no power to the ABS module. found a defective K40 relay module in the engine compartment ECU module box. It has the 40 amp fuse and 5 15 amp fuses. I took it apart and discovered cold solder joints and the fuse holder bus had come off preventing F1 from making contact. I replaced the module and everything works!! PN A 210 540 00 72
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Exclamation ABS BAS ESP lights on, Bulb fail light, and window fail!!

I have just had the same, or similar problem on my E55 AMG (99). No brake lights showing also. I tried replacing the brake light switch and it seemed to work initially, but then after I pressed the brake pedal all the lights came on again! Now the driver's electric window won't go up!! Before I drag its sorry *** into the MB shop does anyone have any recent ideas? Battery could need replacing maybe?

Originally Posted by ||SLK320||
Hi everyone,

Full Problem Explained:

Just yesterday, I noticed that my ABS/BAS and ESP warning lights were lit up on my instrument cluster. I also noticed that once the car was parked and I wanted to put my top up, the switch to put the top up would flash red and the top would not go up as normal. I checked all the things that would make it flash normally like the shade in the trunk not being in place or the trunk open, etc, and everything was as it should be, so I am guessing that all of these things are somehow related.

I did however notice that once I turn the car off, then turn the key to the point right before your crank the car (when ALL lights are lit up on the instrument cluster) I was able to put the top up as normal. Today I was testing things out and when I first got into the car, I was able to put my top up and down as normal with the car running (before driving anywhere) but after having driven for 5 minutes, I was back to turning the car off and then the key to the point right before your crank the car (when ALL lights are lit up on the instrument cluster) before I was able to put the top up as normal

Before I go nuts and make my first visit to my local MB dealership, is there any easy quick fix techniques I should look into or anything I should check (ex. fuses, etc) to see if its something silly that is causing the problem (and to avoid paying an arm and half a leg at the MB dealership for something silly).

P.S. -- yes, I have done a few quick searches, and I have tried turning the steering wheel all the way the right then left when the car is on to "reset" things -- unless I was doing something wrong, that did not work -- also in my searches, I have not seen anyone with the top up problem I seem to have, so maybe that problem will clue someone into what is going on?

Cliff Notes Version:

top does not go up when car is running, have to turn car off and then turn key to the point before the engine cranks (when all lights are lit up on instrument cluster) -- top will go up then. What is wrong and how do I fix?

Thank you to anyone who can help or shed some light on this topic. Sorry for the long post!

||SLK320||
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 AM

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Exclamation ABS BAS ESP lights on, Bulb fail light, and window fail!!

I have just had the same, or similar problem on my E55 AMG (99). No brake lights showing also. I tried replacing the brake light switch and it seemed to work initially, but then after I pressed the brake pedal all the lights came on again! Now the driver's electric window won't go up!! Before I drag its sorry *** into the MB shop does anyone have any recent ideas? Battery could need replacing maybe?

Originally Posted by ||SLK320||
Hi everyone,

Full Problem Explained:

Cliff Notes Version:

||SLK320||
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
possible cure

I had the exact same problem; turned out to be a broken wire shorting the circuit and blowing the fuse to one of the brake lights. $16 labour to fix!!

Full Problem Explained:

Cliff Notes Version:

||SLK320||[/QUOTE]