SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK32 80k service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
SLK32 80k service

So I bought my 2002 SLK32 in for an A service, and my dealer tells me that in addition to that "A service", the car needs a pile of things for an 80k mile / 6 year service. Totaling $1200 to $1400. He mentioned $480 for the spark plugs alone.
Is this for real? I would think that all there is to do is plugs, fluids and filters on this car. (It already has a new serpentine belt). And I thought the spark plugs were good for 100k miles.
Any comments on what really needs to be done, if anything? The service book in in the trunk at the dealer, so I can't inspect it myself at the moment!
Carl

Last edited by Cslk; 10-21-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM

C300
Cslk,

bro, do not make that "stupid" mistake and buy into what that Mercedes benz technician aka sale person tells you...

It might be true,your car is due for this and that...

but fact of the matter is and I have talked about this issue in another forum.

Please please . . . don't let MB put and do your spark plugs, that is *** crazy and insane...

U know how much Bosch spark plugs cost for the SLK 320 or even 230? ? ?
I let you guess and you'll be shocked...

over 400 grand for spark plugs? dude, u can have that done for 70% less....

When I read your message here, I called my buddy at Mercedes Benz California...told him that,since I also will have to put one day spark plugs into mySLK 230....he tput me on hold and came back and told me " get it it done somewhere else and safe over 250 bucks.

MB is great but some of their service for "silly" things are way over over priced.

If you pay for an oil change,without airfliter change, over 85 bucks...imagine what they charge you for other dumb silly simple things....

I am sure some people hate this...but its the truth.

I understand on certain things they can charge you alot more,because they know "u have to have it done there" but on other things...gosh, they act like the costumer is dumb and will pay either way...don't let them BS and rip you off.

Here is my advice...bring your car to a BMW dealer or a Ford dealer and ask them, how much they charge for putting new spark plugs into your slk, and remember its Bosch Spark Plugs,which is reccomended by the mercedes benz manual on your slk, but a mercedes dealer will pull of a rip off telling you "u should only use mercedes benz spark plugs,which is total BS!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hard to say without knowing what "this and that" is. The spark plugs are overpriced, I believe there are 12 of them at about $5-6 each. Even if they charge you $10 each and an hour of labor, you are under $250 for the job. Talk to the service advisor, he should be reasonable with you especially if they want you to do all this. I would imagine they need to change all fluids and filters, including differential, trans, coolant, etc. $1200 for a major service is no too bad, although they should be willing to work with you especially if you are a loyal customer. Get a breakdown of what they want to do and how much they want to charge you for each part, a lot of the labor overlaps anyway.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 AM

C300
Yep,
well said, but I am positive when they say 400 bucks for spark plugs,they mean Spark Plugs only...

don' t let them fool you...get a detailed estimate,that way U will be able to see how they come up with that extremly overpriced amount for new spark plugs!

oh Yeag, a spark plug (Bosch) cost about 6 bucks each, but lets say for the fun of it, they cost 10 bucks and u need 12, thats $120, even though its even less than that, and it takes less than 15 minutes to remove the old spark plugs and put the new ones in.

You realize the rip off they pull? they wanna charge over 400 bucks? lol

ps: and remember, the spark plugs they'll put in,won't even be the ones your slk manual says "bosch" they'll put the "mercedes benz" plugs in ;-)
Old 10-22-2008, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If that 1200-1400 includes a PS fluid and filter change, trans service (w/filter of course), and differential service with syn fluid in addition to all other fluids and filters being changed, and a complete lubrication for the entire car (roof, doors, bushings, etc) it is a good price. Just make sure that estimate includes EVERYTHING, because for that price, it should.

IMO, if the above applies, you are better off doing it, the car will be like new afterwards.