SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Does your CD changer skip? How to solve? Factory bracket effective?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SLK230 USA model
Does your CD changer skip? How to solve? Factory bracket effective?

Hi,

I strapped a MC3010 CD changer to the trunk wall and placed a big yellow car wash sponge beneath to eliminate my skipping problem. Do the factory brackets prevent skipping? Do they have a cushion, springs, etc. for shock absorbing? What are the part numbers of the factory bracket and mounting hardware? Is it an easy installation? Is there another good mounting alternative?

I have seen a few types of Mercedes brackets on ebay. But, I cannot find one that anyone says is for the SLK, much less with the mounting hardware. Can anyone provide some guidance on part selection and installation?

Am I just wasting my time because the factory brackets let the cds skip?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk 230 kompressor
I bought a USA Spec changer on ebay and found a rectangular lunch(?) pack in Target that was almost the exact size of the changer. I screwed it directly to the side wall in the trunk without any brackets. It too skipped when I went over speed bumps until I added about 1" of soft foam in the bottom of the pack under the changer. Not a problem in 2 years.

As a plus I can remove the changer from the bag to access the spare.