SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Precipitation sensor???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK 320
Precipitation sensor???

A couple of times, I've been caught out sitting in a restaurant or office. I look out of the window and see that the nice warm sunny weather that the day started out with has turned nasty and it is raining into my car.

I think it would be nice to have a precipitation sensor mounted on the car somewhere that would signal an alarm on the key-fob. Has anyone come across such a device?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
There are alarms that will page you when they are activated. I presume that a simple interior motion detector could be activated by rain. Of course, there's no way you're going to integrate it into the SLKs factory key fob.

BTW, why bother with the alarm on the key fob at all? Just make it close the roof immediately and prevent as much damage as possible.

Never mind, I can see it now: A thief sees your car with the top down, reaches in to steal your sunglasses, the motion detector thinks it's raining and closes the roof breaking the thief's arm. The thief then sues you...
Old 01-28-2003, 09:18 AM

2002 SLK 320
Originally posted by Brian_R170
There are alarms that will page you when they are activated. I presume that a simple interior motion detector could be activated by rain. Of course, there's no way you're going to integrate it into the SLKs factory key fob.

BTW, why bother with the alarm on the key fob at all? Just make it close the roof immediately and prevent as much damage as possible.

Never mind, I can see it now: A thief sees your car with the top down, reaches in to steal your sunglasses, the motion detector thinks it's raining and closes the roof breaking the thief's arm. The thief then sues you...
Scary thought (the lawsuit, that is).

Based on a recent thread, it strikes me that the auto-roof-close feature is still a ways off. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind a sensor that pages you. I have seen rain sensors advertised on the net... the trick is to combine them with the warning on some sort of small receiver.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Or why not just make the top operable with the key, like the new SL? That way if you're sitting by the window in the restaurant, you don't even have to get up.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:53 PM

'99 SLK 230
Working on it. I got a prototype operating in my car this past weekend.

http://frontiernet.net/~dbipes/SLK/remote/index.htm