SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: more info on Optical CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK320
Question more info on Optical CD Changer

I know some of you are probably tired of the questions surrounding the optical CD changer. My wife and I just purchased a 2001 SLK 320 (with only 7100 miles) and are installing a changer. I purchased a MC3198 model (MB part # A002 820 7989) off eBay, adjusted the fiber optic cables per instructions on an SLK web site and all works well!

I am interested in seeing photos of how some people have mounted their changers in SLKs. Does anyone know the MB part number for the MC3198 model? Are their after market mounts for this model? Where are the mount points in the trunk?

Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks,

Tom Brown

P.S. Awesome car to drive -- now we need warm weather!
Old 02-04-2003, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
The SLK CD changer mounts in the passenger side rear corner of the trunk. It partially covers the small access panel for the roof motor. The bracket mounts to the car with three bolts. The bolts go into holes that are partially pre-existing. If you look at the trunk lining in that area, you'll see some plastic plugs. There are many, but the ones used are the two on the side and one on the rear panel. You have to pull the center out of those plugs to remove them, then you have to use a drill to enlarg the holes in the sheetmetal underneath, then insert some press-fit nuts that come with the mounting bracket.

The mounting bracket is about $100 from a Mercedes dealer. You might be able to get it cheaper from AutoClass.net.

Some people have just mounted it to the side panel using industrial strength Velcro with adhesive backing. You can buy small packages of it at Home Depot for $2.

I went ahead and bought the bracket. I like the fact that it holds the changer very securely and it completely surrounds the changer so it protects it from whatever you might have sliding around in the trunk.