SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: nyone having Retractible roof not opening problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SLK 320
nyone having Retractible roof not opening problems?

I just bought an '03 SLK320 and the roof worked great for about 1 month. It then decided to not open. When trying to put down the button turns red, the windows go down, the trunk opens about 1/2 inch then nothing. It is stuck in that position. Won't go back to fully up position either. Is there any tech bulletins (I haven't found any yet) out there? any help or history knowledge would be appreciated...
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM

86 Ferrari Testarossa, 02 BMW 745i
Did you get it figured out yet? I see no one answered to your problem yet? Let us know. Could be one of the many sensors or you forgot to put the safety trunk mat out (whatever that darn thing is called, sorry)
Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 PM

2003 SLK 320
Originally Posted by LasVegasCop
Did you get it figured out yet? I see no one answered to your problem yet? Let us know. Could be one of the many sensors or you forgot to put the safety trunk mat out (whatever that darn thing is called, sorry)
Thanks for answering back LasVegasCop. I just got the car back from the dealer on Friday. It turns out the pump used to open the trunk etc. shorted out and was continuously blowing fuses. They also found both roof "hinges" ,what MB called them, to be a little bent and replaced those as well. Fortunately I had the extended warrranty and they replaced everything with new parts without additional cost to me. They also told me that it would have cost me over $5k if I didn't have the warranty. Not sure how they can justify that amount for a pump and 2 hinges including the labor I'm just glad it's fixed and no out of pocket to me. It works great now. Just like a new one. I noticed today though that they broke one of the hooks that hold the leather pouch to the rear wall between the 2 seats. I touched it and it just fell off. I sent them a photo of the damage and they are sending me a new one.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:30 PM

99' SLK230
i am having a similar problem with that top. once i sent it in to dealer, and they told me its a program conflict, and it worked fine after re-programming it. the top opens up in seconds and real time response. BUT right now, my top isnt working like it should! long top dropping and retracting time, sometimes responsive sometimes not, and i wonder why is it just the top and not the rest of the sequence.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM

2003 SLK 320
Possibly low pump fluid....

Originally Posted by mOtred
i am having a similar problem with that top. once i sent it in to dealer, and they told me its a program conflict, and it worked fine after re-programming it. the top opens up in seconds and real time response. BUT right now, my top isnt working like it should! long top dropping and retracting time, sometimes responsive sometimes not, and i wonder why is it just the top and not the rest of the sequence.

It seems like most of the hydraulic work is putting the roof up or down due the weight of the roof that is supported vs. the trunk lid. I would take a guess that the fluid may be low in the pump or maybe the pump/system has a pressure leak somewhere. It would be nice to have a pressure gauge (readable on the dash) and pump current meter to ward off problems with the system. I had no warning that the pump would short out in my 320 and start blowing fuses. Out on the road if stuck with your top down (no pun intended) it looks like, according to the manual, you need two people to manually "get it up". Again no pun intended....lol Anyway that may be a good place to start checking or just bring it back to the "stealer" if you have an extended warranty.