SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Thinking of buying an SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 323ci
Thinking of buying an SLK

I'm thinking of buying a 1997-2004 SLK either 230K or 320. I want a little information as to what problems I will run into with this car. I am looking to buy a high mileage car. Likely 120,000 miles or more. Are these cars build well enough to withstand up to 300,000 miles without MAJOR problems. What kind of repairs can i expect to do on these cars between 120,000 and up? Would anyone that owns an R170 SLK buy one with this high a mileage or should i avoid this car like the plague when they get high mileage?
I would appreciated any input.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:59 PM

W203-4M W163
Used SLK

I have a friend with a 2002 SLK, bought it used from a Lexus dealer. Drives it summers only. He's had no issues with it at all, but he's at about 80K miles. If these are kept up properly, they'll last just as well as any other.

My concern with buying any of these or any AMG/performance cars "used" is that the original owner had lots of money to buy a car that will depreciate VERY quickly, and had a strong desire for a car that could be driven fast and hard. Basically, that translates to someone who can afford the car in the first place, AND who can afford to drive the crap out of it and not worry about the wear and tear.

That's not to say that it can't take it, I'd just like to know how a car has been driven. MBs are overbuilt to a staggering degree, so they can take a lot, but I'd rather know what I'm getting into, and that's almost impossible to know with a used car. Sure, it's impossible to know with any class of car, but when you buy the sportier types, you're more likely to get a car that has been driven harder than a C230 or an E320.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM

BMW 323ci
As you said, the treatment of the car by the previous owner is very important to know if i want to know how the car will last. What i'm trying to compare is how it will stand up compared to similar cars. I currently own a BMW 323CI with 150,000 miles on it. It runs GREAT and has given me very little trouble.
Another thing i want to add is that i am very mechanically able to work on these cars, i just don't want to buy a car that i will have to work on. I have changed many engines/transmissions/clutches in my life and i'm really NOT interested in adding one more into my list. I'm looking for a car that will require normal maintain and repairs but that won't be broken every couple of weeks. The car i am buying is for my wife and if she liked BMW's i would buy another 3 series in a heartbeat. However, i am researching currently to find a car with the reliability of my Bimmer that she likes.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E500 CLK320
My 2001 SLK320 w/ 90k mi has been very reliable. No major issues. The MAF sensor went bad at 80k mi, and now the cooling/heat fan is intermittently working, which is most likely related to the blower motor resistor which needs to be replaced. Other than that, everything has been very reliable. I've read that the AC systems tend to leak after ~100k mi.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
The things that seem to go first will be suspension and steering parts such as ball joints and control arm bushings. You might check to see if the battery, hoses, water pump and alternator have been exchanged before you buy a 120K + milage car.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As E-Klasse notes, the problem areas are most likely to be steering, suspension, and alternator. Same with any German car of this vintage. The core powertrain is engineered to last given proper maintenance. Especially the V6, but then for all I know the supercharged four might also be bulletproof.

Wish I had better info for you, working on it.