SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Water on carpet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 Mitsubishi eclipse, 1998 Mercedes SLK230
Water on carpet

My wife has a 1998 SLK 230, Last week I went through a car wash and noticed water running out on the passenger side carpet. I removed the cover under the glove box and pulled out the environmental air filter, all dripping wet. I have left everything open so it will thoroughly dry out. I drove the car last night and I could hear water sloshing.
I was told there is access to the drain from under hood, one in the center by the wiper and two at the corners of the windshield. The one in the center is easy and obvious, I ran a coat hanger down the tube and then some water. But does anyone know how to get the leaves and cr*@ out of the corners?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 75,xxx miles, 1998 SLK230 250,xxx miles
the same way just be careful
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...ront-rear.html
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM

This week end I removed the windshield wipers and unscrewed the panel that goes across the bottom of the windshield. I discovered a compost pit under the right side hood hinge; I cleaned the leaves and decaying crap out of the cavity. I tried to push a coat hanger wire down through what I think is the drain hole, but could only get about 2 inches down through the dirt. Does anyone know if the drain tube goes straight down so I can push harder or is there a bend that I can’t see?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:03 AM

Water on the floor

Mystery solved, the drain tubes at both edges are the same. At the bottom of the cup size reservoir under the hood hinges, the drain tubes make a 90° turn towards the front of the car for about 2 inches and then make a 90° turn down for about 2 inches with a quick 90° turn into the fender well.
I loosened the cowling to gently lift it enough to remove as much debris as possible with a spoon. I then poured about a ½ cup of hot water in the reservoir, I bent a coat hanger wirer in an “L” and pushed it in through the water and remaining debris, the water started to slowly drain. I then took a garden hose with a trigger nozzle and placing the end directly over the bottom of the reservoir and sprayed it with full force crap flew everywhere but it was like flushing a toilet. The reservoir was free of debris and water was going down the drain tube as fast as the water came out to the garden hose. I did the same at the other end this time I covered the process with a shot towel, saving me from cleaning my glasses.
As for the dirty sock smell, I removed the under dash cover, fan motor cover and the enviorfilter. I sprayed Lysol in the enviorfilter hole. I left everything open for two weeks and parked in the sun with the top down as much as possible. Additionally, I poured liquid laundry detergent directly on the insulation of the under dash cover, I put about 4 inches of hot water in the bath tub and let the cover soak for about 24 hours (DO NOT SCRUB the insulation it will fall apart) just let it soak. I then drained the soapy water and then gently sprayed the insulation with fresh cold water then left it in the sun for two days it smells great. (DO NOT use your old enfiorfilter)