SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Disabling ABS/BAS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230K Demec tuned
Disabling ABS/BAS

My SLK 230 -98 disabled its ABS/BAS-system for a little while after driving in heavy watery snow. The traction control went out too I think. The car was actually much better to drive without ABS (I live in Finland so we have around 4-6 months of snow and ice to deal with and ABS has sometimes a tendency to put you on a ballistic course...) and that idiotic flashing, blinding traction control light went out too.
The problem is, does anybody know how to disable ABS/BAS + traction control permanently? I found no fuse for it on the fusebox. On these forums there has been some discussion of a dyno method but it doesn't seem to apply on my model.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:57 PM

maybe its just me but i dont think thats a good idea, especially for a little SLK in the heavy 4-6 months of snow/year without ABS, roadsters aren't designed for that weather. Today school was canceleed due to snow and i saw a Z3 driving down the road, all i could do was shake my head.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:21 AM

SLK 230K Demec tuned
It has a dedicated winter configuration, limited slip, winter tires and so forth. I have a Z3 too with similar specs, it's actually very good to drive and fun too.
The problem with ABS is that on very soft gravel and snow, the braking effect is greatly reduced because the wheels don't dig in, they just roll over. It's difficult to say when the ABS works and when it doesn't. The car actually stops faster sometimes by applying the handbrake.