SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: ESP/BAS warning light intermittent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 2004 SLK320SE
ESP/BAS warning light intermittent

3 brake switches and 1 K40 relay and I still have the BAS/EPS warning light! Very frustrating! What's weird is shutting off and re-starting will clear it. The biggest concern is when the bulb warning light is also on (not always the case). That means NO BRAKE LIGHTS!!! Very scary when driving the I-10 thru down-town Phoenix.

Update 03/20/10 - After last failure, let the local MB service shop keep it and put on 100 miles. They determined the automatic synchronization between the brake switch and the ESP/BAS module didn't 'center' up properly. They manually synchronized the switch prior to the 100 miles. Hopefully, this will finish this issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshepherd
UPDATE 03/25/10 - "If wishes were fishes..." No joy! Back in the shop. Now they're suggesting it's a brake pedal travel sensor in the booster (and it's big bucks!). @#$%!!! I'd get rid of the car except I'd get screwed on the trade-in/sale by the error code(s)!

UPDATE 03/26/10 - Now the dealer wants me to spend another $1100 dollars to replace the entire brake booster (can't replace just this particular sensor). If they'll comp me for the labor associated with the brake light switch and the K40 relay, I'll probably let them. Otherwise, I'll try somebody else. Any recommendations for a decent repair shop in the SE valley in Phoenix?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 C230 2004 SLK320SE
Originally Posted by wshepherd3
3 brake switches and 1 K40 relay and I still have the BAS/EPS warning light! Very frustrating! What's weird is shutting off and re-starting will clear it. The biggest concern is when the bulb warning light is also on (not always the case). That means NO BRAKE LIGHTS!!! Very scary when driving the I-10 thru down-town Phoenix.

Update 03/20/10 - After last failure, let the local MB service shop keep it and put on 100 miles. They determined the automatic synchronization between the brake switch and the ESP/BAS module didn't 'center' up properly. They manually synchronized the switch prior to the 100 miles. Hopefully, this will finish this issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshepherd
UPDATE 03/25/10 - "If wishes were fishes..." No joy! Back in the shop. Now they're suggesting it's a brake pedal travel sensor in the booster (and it's big bucks!). @#$%!!! I'd get rid of the car except I'd get screwed on the trade-in/sale by the error code(s)!

UPDATE 03/26/10 - Now the dealer wants me to spend another $1100 dollars to replace the entire brake booster (can't replace just this particular sensor). If they'll comp me for the labor associated with the brake light switch and the K40 relay, I'll probably let them. Otherwise, I'll try somebody else. Any recommendations for a decent repair shop in the SE valley in Phoenix?
UPDATE 04/02/10 - Now, it's 4 brake light switches, 1 K40 relay AND a brake booster! Crossing my fingers and hoping... BUT, I've got to give the service shop credit. They comp'd the labor on the booster which was a little more than the labor on the previous parts. If it fails again, I'll probably try Autohaus or Automotive Engineering next.