SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Audio upgrades for SLK - Enough Space?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2003 | 12:18 AM

Audio upgrades for SLK - Enough Space?

I know this may sound blasphemous, but is there enough space in the trunk to put a small subwoofer? I'm a big fan of trance/rave music, and though factory sound system is good, I have few things I'd like to put in place of it.

Has anyone done something like this here? or do you guys think it's even possible?

btw I haven't gotten a chance to dig around SLK trunk yet, how big is the spare or is there even one? (I assume there is as I've heard nothing about "run-flat" tires being standard). I hope to get my SLK later in Apr or May, but making plans to work on it right now.... what can I say, it is an illness..... (already got tons of print outs on pulleys, suspention stuff, appearence ect. and have Alpine CDA-7897 installed currently in C230 I'm driving, got 2 subs sitting in my garage, but now that I decided not to buy the C230, they will have to go, I know I can't fit 2 12s in there with all the amps and stuff....)

btw, is has been by far the best resource on the net! Thank you guys!
Old 03-28-2003 | 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The trunk isn't quiet as small as you might think. If you would put a sub in an enclosure on the lowest part of the floor facing up, I don't think that would be a problem. I have seen some pretty slim boxes and subs for small areas. With the top up, the trunk is actually quite large, and even down I can fit several small suitcases.
Old 03-28-2003 | 10:26 PM

great, thnx for the info.

I was planning on the 10 inch Alpine Type-R, the only thing is the power needed to run them has to come from fairly large amp, but atleast now I know that I can get ppl to start designing the box for me.

thnx again.