SLK/R170: Engine Light??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230
Question Engine Light??

Hello,

I just baught a used 98' SLK 230 and everything interior and exterior seems to be right on. However I was at a stop light and the engine light came on. Once I started to resume speed it went off, and didn't come back on till about 5mins later, and then turned back off and hasn't been back on since. When I got home, I popped the hood and looked over everything and noticed the oil dip stick wasn't secured (slightly coming out). My question is, would this make the engine light come on? Is it something I should have inspected further?

Thanks,
Travis
Old 04-09-2003, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine light

You will need to see a dealer or any other mechanic who has an OBDII reader to find out. The port for the OBDII device is located close to the hood release. The OBD cose read out from the device will give you and the mechanic SOME indication what to look for but these codes are vague enough to still require some detective work. Common reasons are faulty emission controls e.g., O2 sensor, incorrect fuel-air mixture, failing MAS, leaky valves etc most of which do not cause (severe) engine malfunction but require some attention down the road. BTW, I heard that in California, it is illegal to drive around with a lit-up engine light..
Old 04-09-2003, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Re: Engine Light??

Originally posted by DCMB230
Hello,

I just baught a used 98' SLK 230 and everything interior and exterior seems to be right on. However I was at a stop light and the engine light came on. Once I started to resume speed it went off, and didn't come back on till about 5mins later, and then turned back off and hasn't been back on since. When I got home, I popped the hood and looked over everything and noticed the oil dip stick wasn't secured (slightly coming out). My question is, would this make the engine light come on? Is it something I should have inspected further?

Thanks,
Travis
On the SLK, a Check Engine light is usually one of 3 things. The mass-airflow sensor, charcoal canister shut-off valve, or purge valve.
Old 04-10-2003, 01:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
I'm suprised the car ran at all, on all 3 of the forced induction car(I-Mark Turbo, MR2-Supercharged and SLK230) when ever you removed the dip stick or took the oil filler cap off the car stumbled badly.

NP