SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Only Right Side Lights Flash when Alarm is armed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
Only Right Side Lights Flash when Alarm is armed

When I arm the alarm via the remote keyless pad, only the right side (passanger side; front & back) lights flash. Left side does not flash. Every thing else related to the PSE seems to be OK. BTW, the car had a major structural repair job and wondering if ECU needed to be reset or could there be some damage to some wire harness - just don't know where to begin. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
I would start at the PSE module and check the wiring out or replace the PSE with one from a salvage yard to save cost. Have you opened up the PSE module and checked it out for water damage to the printed circuit board inside. I had a problem with another one of my Benzes that was almost like that where half the lights would only stay on after locking the car. It turned out that it was a faulty headlight switch / fuse box module. The headlight switch is pretty complex in a Mercedes. The circuits may work normally when turning on and off the lights but there may be a fault when the PSE module or alarm system controls the lights.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 PM

SLK230
Thanks E-Klasse.... I checked the PSE and it is nice and dry - all connections looks good. The headlight switch is a pretty expensive module to buy if there is no gurantee that it will fix the problem (>$350.00). Anyway, I was wondering if there is anyway to proble it or locate the schematics? - which pin on which plug controls the drivers side flashing lights? Also on the possibility that the body shop may have plugged the burgandy plug on the wrong slot (2 possible slots, currently on the one closest to the power plug and the other plug next to it is empty), can you tell me the correct slot? Any re-programming PSE/ECU required? Body shop claimed to have re-programmed the ECU or PSE when the alarm and both flashing lights did not work!. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 PM

SLK230
Fixed!

After much tracing, I finally found out that the problem was a defective flasher relay (under the fuses inside the hood fuse box), p/n A0025422119.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Good job, I bet that was a relief.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM

W140
Did this faulty relay affect the security alarm only? Or did the indicators flash in a normal way despite affecting the alarm function in the way you described? I have the same fault, but indicators flash as they should. Thx!!

Last edited by trauha; 02-23-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM

SLK230
Originally Posted by trauha
Did this faulty relay affect the security alarm only? Or did the indicators flash in a normal way despite affecting the alarm function in the way you described? I have the same fault, but indicators flash as they should. Thx!!
The faulty relay only affected the flash indicators and not the security alarm.