SLK/R170: 1998 230 SLK Electrical question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 230 SLK
1998 230 SLK Electrical question

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1998 230 SLK and now I'm experiencing a few electrical problems. The fuses are fine but I am having problems with the brake lights, cd changer, interior dome light, and the arm/disarm flashing lights not working. The vehicle is not under warranty and I'm afraid of this turning into a costly and timely problem. I would really appreciate any feedback. Im debating on taking it to the Mercedes dealer or a smaller electrical shop. I live in Southern California (Long Beach) and any information would be appreciated.

Thank You
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 PM

'03 slk32 AMG
I don't know if this will help, but here goes...I think your problems may all be independent and some I've read about here.

The tail lights have a known problem with the internal circuit board "melting." I haven't seen or experienced this, but there seem to be a great deal of tail lights on eBay right now. Search for SLK.

The dome light has had similar problems and would have been covered under warranty. Again, a used part might work as well as a new if your so inclined. I haven't seen these on eBay.

CD changers have also been known to be prone to excessive skipping. If under warranty, they were replaced. If you are using CDRs, try an original disk and see if it's the changer. I bought a used unit on eBay for about $300.

The sticking flasher light is a new one to me. My best guess would be a spill from the cupholder that fouled the switch. It shouldn't be too expensive to replace.

I think if you search this site or the BenzWorld site, you will find that the first three problems are not uncommon. Pick one and see if a new or different part works. Good luck and don't let the little problems spoil your enjoyment of the car now that the weather is warming.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:05 PM

had similar problem with s-class cd changer around 2 months afte ri bought it, i had full set of cds in there and it said magazine empty!!, so there is a 3M disc lens cleaner, i went to advanced auto parts, saw a kid my age, talked with him, he gave me the 3m cd and looked at my car as i cleaned the lens with it and gave it back to him, problem solved. take it to a benz dealer, 90$ to let u know its the lens that need cleaning, 1/2 hour labor, 45$, and 2.50 for lens cleaner and 1.50 for lens towel. or maybe a new cd-changer for 800$.. use 3m cd lens cleaner!