SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Ch Eng Lt on and running on 3 cyls and tranny chugging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 slk230 sport
Ch Eng Lt on and running on 3 cyls and tranny chugging

My check engine light is on and running on 2 or 3 cylinders and the tranny is chugging at low speed. I haven't checked the tranny fluid as you can't without a new part that I've found on Ebay, but I was wondering if anyone could magically just tell me what my problem is. It's about 32 degrees F out, I haven't driven the car for 2 months prior, but other than the car not shfting into the next gear when it's cold out until the rpm's get a little higher than normal, the car has given me no problems until now. I desperately don't want to take it to a stealership to have them mis-diagnose the problem for a grand. Any magicians out there know what the problem is based on the limited information I've given you?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM

2002 slk230K 1986 560sl
Pull the code and post it. If you don't have a code reader any auto parts store will read it for free.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:51 AM

1999 slk230 sport
It only pulled a p0300 and a p0301. I've got plugs for it, I'll change them and see if I see any connection problems with the coils.

Anyone know how to pull the front cover at the very front and top of the motor. It's gray plastic and looks like it has a pull area at the bottom middle of it, but it just flexes when I pull on it and I don't wish to break it. I've read on a post here that oil sometimes drips onto something from something else under there and I'd like to see if that's my problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM

1999 slk230 sport
As far as the tranny not shifting into another gear with delay, I've read that's engineered into the car. I believe this as it doesn't totally over rev and it only takes a mile of travel before it warms up and shifts normally. So this is not a symptom of my real problem of running on 2 or 3 cylinders and pulling codes p0300 and p0301.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 PM

1999 slk230 sport
Well, it looks as if it's only a coil pack. I had the car running with the red cover on the top of the motor off and I pulled one of the wires leading to a spark plug off and it sparked like crazy. I swapped coil packs and restarted the car and no spark out of the coil pack in question. This means the car is supplying power to the coil pack, but the coil pack wasn't working. No other possible answer.

I ordered a new coil pack from my local auto parts store and it'll be here tomorrow. Probably could get it cheaper than $92 online, but it'll be here tomorrow!

Hopefully, this will help someone in the future. Even though I only had one person ask me anything about my problem, the past comments on this forum have helped me tremendously. I feel confident if I get a k40 relay , or a cam/crankshaft position sensor, or even a Mass Air Flow sensor problem, I can come back to this forum, re-learn about the specific codes and fix my problem quickly and WITHOUT a stealership. If they'd charge a reasonable fee to diagnose, then actually diagnose it correctly, people wouldn't call them that. ...Anyway, thanks.