SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Rear Speakers Missing - help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
Rear Speakers Missing - help needed

Maybe i should write this in the audio section but i think its more rational to ask it in here as SLK owners reply more quicker.
It may sound weird to you but my rear speakers are missing , maybe the first owner forgot to put some tick when ordering the car.
As i mentioned I have the complete music system( focal mids at the doors, jvc mp3 cd player) except the rear bass speakers.(I see usually Bose in other SLKs ).
I checked the hole or cove you say? where those speakers are installed and realized that there is not much space for a big magnet (not diameter but length ).
Do you all have Bose at the rear ? If not which other options are available? I would like to know if there are other brands with similar dimensions. I have to go to a MB delaer and order Bose but its a very long procedure and i prefer to buy it myself and dont want to be dependent on only one brand
Briefly , i would like to know if i have a chance to install any other brand of speakers.
Thank you for your kind interest, waiting for your replies

Serhan
Old 07-09-2003, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 SLK32 AMG
Yes, the Bose system was an option in most countries so the first owner just didn't order it.

I don't know what aftermarket speakers will fit back there but I've seen several pictures of various sized speakers installed in SLKs so it can be done.

Hope you're planning to add an amplifier, too. There are some pics in the SLK galleries at benzworld.org. Here is one

Old 07-09-2003, 08:53 PM
Almost a Member!

slk
You can make a lot of different speaker fit, but it depends on how much modification you are willing to do. I may be willing to part with my pair of bose speaker because I am replacing the stereo in my slk.
Old 07-15-2003, 02:52 PM

2000 230 Sport
Rear Speakers Missing - help needed

The 6.5" Bose speakers that came from MB are not bad for their size, but leave room for definite improvement. I've ordered a pair of 6.5" JL Audio 6w0 replacements, and I'd be glad to sell you my original Bose units for a very fair price. (They're like new, never abused) I would recommend getting something better than the Bose units, though. Especially since you're going through the trouble of installing something anyway. I'll post a follow-up when I get the JL Audio set installed; the difference is supposed to be nothing short of amazing. (And by the way, the JL Audio 6W0's are only $75 a piece from Car Toys)
Old 07-15-2003, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R170
Re: Rear Speakers Missing - help needed

Originally posted by Jminer
The 6.5" Bose speakers that came from MB are not bad for their size, but leave room for definite improvement. I've ordered a pair of 6.5" JL Audio 6w0 replacements, and I'd be glad to sell you my original Bose units for a very fair price. (They're like new, never abused) I would recommend getting something better than the Bose units, though. Especially since you're going through the trouble of installing something anyway. I'll post a follow-up when I get the JL Audio set installed; the difference is supposed to be nothing short of amazing. (And by the way, the JL Audio 6W0's are only $75 a piece from Car Toys)
Please do update us on this project when it is done. I'm really interested in doing this.

Thanks