SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: ASP Pully Installation - re: Belt

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk
ASP Pully Installation - re: Belt

Just got the ASP Pully kit from Linh installed on Sat.
Great package. Linh did an excellent job putting the whole
kit together. It came with everything needed (pully, MAS relocation kit, spark plug, fuel regulator, belt)

I did the MAS relocation myself on Fri. (very simple, Linh already have it put together, just have to disconnect existing and put on the one he supplies) I had a mechanic put the pully on the next day. What a difference I notice immediately.

The mechanic used a slightly longer belt 539, instead of 537
because the tension was pretty tight with the 537.
(I kept the 537 belt just in case the 539 loosen over time. The difference between the 2 belts are very little)

Has anyone else with the ASP pully tried this longer belt?

Please post comments on your experience.
Attached Thumbnails ASP Pully Installation - re: Belt-img_1862.jpg  
Old 07-25-2003, 07:38 PM

CLK320 & SLK230
Derek2003

I just rec'd the pulley kit from Linh today
and I wonder how long did u spend to install this kit ?
u did the job urself or from a local auto shop ?
thank you
Old 07-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

slk
I took it to a shop to do. Not something I would do myself.
You can do the MAF relocate yourself, that's pretty easy
Old 07-26-2003, 02:41 AM

CLK320 & SLK230
ic
thank you
Old 07-26-2003, 09:34 PM

'99 SLK 230
I installed Linh’s kit in my ’99 manual transmission SLK a few weeks ago. I chose Linh’s kit because of the price and the engineering. Since I have been running an aftermarket Eaton supercharger in my Miata for a number of years and 60,000 miles, including some of my own fueling and timing modifications, I feel that I am at least somewhat qualified to judge the engineering of this kit. I like the approach that Linh has taken: a modest boost increase, colder plugs to guard against knock/ping, and a different FPR to handle the added fuel which is needed. His work on the dyno is also a big plus – it’s the only way to know what is really going on. I think his is a very solid, conservative, straightforward approach.

Do-it-yourself installation is certainly doable for those with average shade-tree mechanic skills. It helps to have a few tools, such as a fuel pressure gauge with relieve valve to screw onto the service port to depressurize the fuel rail and a circlip tool to remove and replace the FPR. The bolt holding the pulley required my large breaker bar and a lot of effort to remove – definitely not for the weak of heart. Installation took about 2 hours, not counting the break while I went to the store for a socket size that I did not have.

One bit of advice: don’t rely on memory, as I did, to route the serpentine supercharger drive belt when replacing it. Use a manual, or draw yourself a picture before removing the original belt. I chewed up two belts before I figured out what my mistake was. Linh was very helpful through this.

The added power is very nice, particularly in 2nd and 3rd from 2500 RPM on up. I’m afraid I may wear out my rear tires a bit sooner! Even with ASR engaged, it’s easier to chirp them a bit accelerating through a corner. I’ve only had a short time to experience the added power, but so far I like it. I don’t think there’s another way to get an equivalent power boost for the money.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:50 PM

CLK320 & SLK230
I bought the pulley kit from Linh too
and I will have the installation in a local auto shop, well , I feel very excitied to see the result after with the kit