SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: SLK320 -- Spilled Drink / Stuck in Park / Replaced Gear Selector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SLK320 (It's red - Magma Red)
SLK320 -- Spilled Drink / Stuck in Park / Replaced Gear Selector

Although there are some step-by-steps out there on the dreaded "I spilled a drink and now my car won't shift into drive", I thought I would post my experience. From what I gather, I just did a $1000 job for $130. Not too bad!

Step 1: Spill a drink into your gear selector.
Any drink will do. Mercedes made this step easy with the cupholders precariously placed right above the gear selector. In my case, it was Diet Coke, although, in my defense, the can was unopened -- it exploded when the car was parked outside all day (even though it was a cool day).

This will cause a few things. In my case, the car would not start at first, and then when it did, it would not shift into drive without using the override (there is a little trap door below the "D"). Using the override (which I understand is inadvisable), I was able to limp home. In my case, it was only about a mile -- I would not go much further. Not an enjoyable ride at all.

Step 2: Remove Gear Selector
So, the diagnosis based on the not-going-into-drive-after-a-spill is that the gear selector is fried. It's a $300 part, so it may make sense to try to clean it. In either case, you'll need to get at it. Here's how you do that:

Remove the chrome ring around the gear selector. Gently pry it up. (see picture)

Remove the gear shift knob. You do this by unscrewing the plastic grommet at the bottom of the knob, and then pulling up on the knob. Do NOT try to unscrew the knob. It's not screwed on; if you try to unscrew the knob, you'll break the wood. I know. For a fact. Done it twice.

Remove the trim around the gear selector. More gentle prying.

Remove the outer trim around the gear selector. More gentle prying. I had the best luck when I gripped it at the bottom and pulled up and a little bit toward the back of the car. (see picture)

PAUSE: You can try to spray some electrical cleaner into the gear selector at this point. Spray liberally and cross your fingers, wait a few hours, spray more (more crossing), wait a few more hours, then try to start the car and put it in D. If you're like me, you'll have to keep reading this instead of cracking open a celebratory beer. Even if you get that beer, it may not be fixed forever.... (Also, I got bored with pictures, so I don't have any more)

Remove the bottom center console. It's possible you could skip this step, but I didn't. Unscrew the two screws you just exposed as well as two 10mm nuts in the back of the compartment under a flap of carpet (clever Germans). Then pull off the handle for the e-brake; it just slides off. The center console will lift up. You'll need to unhook all of the switch gear as well as the vacuum line for the lock on the compartment. This vacuum line gave me the most trouble -- it is just clipped on, but it's really on there. The cigarette lighter is also a bit wonky -- you pull that forward (toward the front of the car). Finally, there's a bit of working with the Tele-Aid service switches in the compartment. Those switches actually come out of the compartment as a piece (I kept mine out).

Remove the center console trim. Pull out the radio and the surrounding case. There are two screws hidden at the top of the radio opening. Unscrew them. Pull off the wooden trim piece with more gentle prying. It does just come out. The bottom buttons stick with it -- you can disconnect those. It takes some work, but you'll be glad that thing is out of your way. The last item is the ashtray / dirt accumulator compartment. This is held on by four screws.

Remove the gear selector. There are three Torx screws (I think T-20, but I can't really remember -- could be T-30). Unscrew these. Then disconnect the electrical connection. Lift up the gear selector (pull it up and toward the front of the car) and you'll see the mechanical connection to the transmission. It's held on by a clip. Use a flathead screwdriver to remove that clip. Don't drop it. That would be terrible. Also don't lose the rubber bushing.
Step 3: Replace Gear Selector
So, there's a step immediately preceding this one: acquire gear selector. I found mine on ebay for $130. Search for R170 Gear Selector. You can also try to get a new one -- they can fetch around $300.

Putting the new one is is the reverse of what I described above:
  • Attach gear selector to transmission;
  • Attach clip;
  • Reconnect electrics to gear selector;
  • Screw gear selector in (Torx screws);
  • Attach ashtray / dirt collector (4 screws);
  • Reconnect switches on upper trim;
  • Reattach upper trim (push up, then in);
  • Reconnect electrics to console (except for Tele-Aid, who needs that?);
  • Reattach lower center console (two screws / two nuts); and
  • Reattach gear lever trim and shift knob

Hopefully, you're able to get the car back in drive. It worked like a champ for me!
Attached Thumbnails SLK320 -- Spilled Drink / Stuck in Park / Replaced Gear Selector-img_1699.jpg   SLK320 -- Spilled Drink / Stuck in Park / Replaced Gear Selector-img_1703.jpg  
Old 12-22-2013, 08:33 AM

2001 CLK 430 Convertible
I recently spilled some water on my center console in my '01 CLK 430 which caused my transmission to go in limp mode. Once I got home I could not go in reverse and when I cut the car off, it would not restart and was stuck in park with a blank box on the dash where it would display which gear the car is in. After reading some of the nightmares that were posted on this site I decided to try drying the TRSS myself before shelling out 700+ for a new gear box. I removed the plastic plate around the gearshift with a regular screw driver (take your time so that you don't damage your wood). Then I pulled the wooden insert forward from the ashtray (w208 model) so that the center console would pop up and the gearshift was exposed. I disconnected the window, trunk and ESP connectors so that the wooden plate was out of my way. I then took a blow dryer and applied heat to the entire gearshift area for about 15 minutes. I tried to start the car and it started but the gear shifter was still stuck. I applied more heat to the gearshift for approximately one hour. Afterwards, everything was fully functional including the dash which showed the car in P, N, R and D. I realize that I only had a minor spill as opposed to some of the stories I've read but, it was cheaper than going to the dealer and spending $$$!

Last edited by S-Dot; 12-22-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:01 PM

clk 430 AMG
Did u use a cordless blow dryer or??? Kuz I have this issue now forgot the sunroof cracked and it rained and now I have this problem
Old 09-25-2022, 05:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2001 SLK 2017 Chevy Bolt, 2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Do yourself a favor, move the drink holder location, to the side of the console.

All you need is a cheap drink holder like they sell on line in 5 packs, I cut most of the back off then drill a hole in it to attach it.

You can either drill a hole in the side of the console, or use an exposed screw, you may have to use a longer screw to attach the drink holder if one on the side is present.

I drilled a hole in the side of the console, you may feel like not drilling a hole in your car, but you could use 2 sided tape to attach the drink holder…