SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Slk wont run

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
Slk wont run

Thiought I would start a new thread since its been a while since anything has happened o my car. So here goes
1999 SL230 144k miles. Car wont accelerate when gas pedal is pressed. t was thought to be the TPS . That was changed and it happened again. The car was anhur away and I had my daughter take it to a shop where she lived . The shop called in a day and said the oil separator hose was broken and it had leaked oil n the MAF sensor cauing a muffeled reading and it shut down. Car would start and thats it would not idle. It shut down before it got that far. I was told by the "mechanics" . It needed a MAF . Fortuately I had a new one and told them I would come down when they finished and change that myself. I did and the car did the same thing. he garage took it back and kept it a couple days and I was called by the genius in charge that they checked everything and the MAF was bad, he plugs had fouled by the oil ( which I agree to). And that the anti-Theft sensor along with "possible other fators" was causing the car to shut down. They suggested it go to the dealer for repair.
This is my thought:
I think the plugs did foul and are gunked up. So I need to replce them. I think also the throttle body needs removing and cleaned as it may have excess oil on it from the previous problem with the oil separator.
I dont know anything about the anti-theft stuff . But I do think tat once the plugs are changed and the TB is cleaned it "should run".
Am i thinking properly or am I wasting my time ? i have never worked on the car as this is the first issue I have had with it. OR should I send to to the dealer? Our MB dealer has skipped town but the garage is here and the costs are a bit less for repairs because the work on all cars now. But ts one of two MB shops here. Any thoughts are welcome. Not sure what to do . Thanks
PS if you are near Hickory NC and want to stop by I welcome you.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM

2001 E430, 1999 SLK230
wont run

Problem solved Fuel filter clogged causing lines to clog and engine shut down and ran poorly due to fuel pressure low and lack of fuel in lines.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM

SLK 230
I have the same type of problems

and I am not able to solve the issue; however, I will take a page from your story and check the spark plugs.