SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: 1998 SLK light grey interior defect

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK
Talking 1998 SLK light grey interior defect

Has anyone with a light grey interior dashboard/centre console experienced a paint defect where the grey coat comes off easily when scratched lightly?
I own a '98 black SLK and the paint defect is killing me! Can anyone shed some lighty on this?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Unhappy Unfortunately, interior painting chipping on SLKs is a fact of life!

It is a known problem and your MB dealer is aware of it. Usually the dealer will replace the parts under warranty.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:20 PM
kmj

98 Mb slk230
Identical problem, especially bad news if it occurred out of warranty like me. To replace the fully is over $750 dollars talking to the dealer. Hmmmmm? Painting myself is starting to look more appealing for two dime size spots. Any ways of matching the paint or services that can perform this type of interior work?

KMJ
Old 03-12-2002, 08:56 PM

SLK
Hi KMJ,
What year is your SLK? I actually got my dealer to fax a request to Daimler up in Germany and it went through after a month. Now i'm waiting for the new parts to come in, all i may have to pay for is labour.Prior to this, i did consider respraying it and even wrapping the entire dash with leather.The original paint on our dash is black. Somehow they decided to cut corners and paint grey over it without properly sealing it.Pester your dealer to get it fix free.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:59 AM
kmj

98 Mb slk230
Wink Hmmm?

My SLK is a 1998 an unfortunately bought it from an individual. My defects are occurring right next to parking brake also by the airbag off indicator, also by the little "junk" compartment that slides. It seems that someone would be able to color match and fix this defect very inexpensively. The dealership price on the replacements are ridiculous....... Any suggestions on how to fix using an alternative method; what did you mean by using leather?

Kevin
Old 03-13-2002, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
kmj, Check with different dealers. I know they have....

people that go around dealerships that do spot repainting on interior and exterior.

Last year I took delivery of a brand new CLK430 with a small interior rip at the dashboard. They were able to fix it to my satisfaction.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:07 PM

SLK
Smile

Kevin,
i have the same problem too. I bought mine 3 months ago and it's a '98 with similar scuff marks except the previous owner had the centre console resprayed black. He did a terrible job cos he didn't apply a sealant and the paint remains sticky. Also, to respray, they have to scrape off the old color which has a "leather" texture. I'm afraid that you will loose some of that look when you respray. Leather is tricky. I tried dozens of places but only one was willing to risk wrapping the dash and console with leather. That's because the gaps between the air con vents and all the intruments are very fine. The leather is about 2mm to 3mm thick so that might cos it to buldge. None the less it can be done. U might have better luck with more choice in the US. Cheers,Spyro