SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Thinking of getting one, but have ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting one, but have ???

I really like the way the car looks and would love to own one. How is the quality of the SLKs, do the engines last long, and what is the maintenance cost like?
Also, are there many modding potential for this car?
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:57 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
This forum is a little less populated that Benzworld.org when it comes to the SLK, so you'll get a better response over there. To answer your question the SLK is a great car. I just bought one myself. There are going to be people on the forum that have had a great experience and those who have had a troublesome car so just be prepared, and realize that those with car trouble make a lot more noise than those who are very pleased with their car. Both engines are great. The SLK230 has the M111 supercharged 4-cyl and MB has been producing this engine for a long time and i's supposed to be on of the most reliable engines they make. The 320 has the V-6 which is a great engine too but might not be worth the extra money, and loss of MPG. It does sound terrific and in my opinion gives the car more than enough power but it's a blast to drive. Everybody will have different opinions on the car in almost every aspect but for the most part it's a high quality car. I wouldn't have bought the last yeat of it if I didn't think it was an exceptional car. There are more pure sports cars out there such as the Boxter and S2000 but unless you're spending alot of time at the track the SLK is a nice balence between sport and comfort. The hardtop is very nice as well and keep the car from feeling like a typical convertible. If you have any more questions feel free to ask but I'd reccomend trying the other forum to get better responses.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:03 AM

2004 SLK Special Edition
Forgot to comment one maintenance costs, and modifications. If you buy the car new or with a warrenty then thre shouldn't be much to worry about. Used repairs can be expensive just like on any other german automobile. Modifications are out there. Most people choose to increase the boost from the supercharger with a different size of pulley. That can provide some very nice power increases for well under $1000. Other things can be done but nothing else gives you more bang for your buck. I don't think there is much that can be done to the SLK320 because it;s normally aspirated and you'll spend alot more money getting much less HP. The SLK230 can easily have more HP than a stock 320. I believe you'd be around 230hp/240 ft/lb torque with jsut a pulley. This particular engine seems to be very reliable and very strong. Linh and some of the other guys have alot of good knowledge they could probably share with you if you have any more questions. I prefer to just read about what everybody else is doing.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
I'm going to have to disagree with Adams. I agree that the car is a great car but I think the 320 is most definitely worth the extra money. Its not a lightweight car and the V-6 gives it much needed power. There is also a huge potential for modification of the V-6 engine. It depends on your price range but there is a plenty you can do with the 320. I'd say get the car and get yourself the 320.