SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Aftermarket Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Warranty

I would like to buy a used SLK 230, but the dealer prices are high compared to private parties and non-Mercedes dealers but I do not feel comfortable purchasing a non-Starmark without additional warranty protection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket warranty that Mercedes dealers may accept should the car need a warranty repair covered by the aftermarket warranty.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK 230
I bought a 99 SLK 230 with 38K miles on it. I also bought it non-Starmarked. The Mercedes Benz warranty is through 50K miles. I talked with the dealer in this area and he told me that there is an aftermarket warranty that I can purchase that will cover me through 100K. I'm going to go in and get more details about it soon. When I get them, I'll let you know.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:50 PM

I bought one through warrantygold.com although I haven't had to use it yet.

It was around 1600 for 7 years and an additional 85k Miles
Old 03-29-2002, 09:29 AM

SLK 320 and SEC 560
aftermarket warranty

I have bought both used and new Mercedes and struggled with justifying the price of their extended warranty. Through my credit union, an aftermarket warranty was offered to cover the cars beyond their factory coverage. They are considerably less expensive and have multiple options for coverage. For example, I just bought a new SLK 320 and the MB warranty for an additional 48 months and up to 100k miles would have cost me around $3500. At the credit union offered warranty (underwritten by Ownerguard), the same coverage cost around $1000. I also had the choice on amount deductable so by choosing $50 per occurance, I was able to reduce the cost to $925. With this warranty, I can go to any certified repair shop (including the MB dealership) and they make one phone call to the Ownerguard 800 number and immediately get authorization for covered components. The company then gives the repair shop a charge card number to bill the repairs and I only have to pay the deductable. I had this type of warranty on my previous MB's and it worked just fine after the factory warranty expired.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK 230
Have you ever used the warranty through Ownerguard?? I'm getting ready to purchase an extended warranty on my 99 SLK 230 and really want something with good coverage. If even that roof breaks, I'm sure you going to be putting out more than the cost of the warranty....
Old 03-30-2002, 09:13 AM

SLK 320 and SEC 560
I've been fortunate and only used the warranty a few times. When I did need to have repairs, they were very responsive and took care of their portion without incident. You're right that the cost of the warranty is substantially less than some of the repairs to our MB's.